Maryland (16-12, 6-8) at #6/6 North Carolina (25-4, 12-2)
Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012 | 7 p.m. | Chapel Hill, N.C. (Smith Center)
ESPN / ESPN3 | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- Maryland ends a busy February on the road in its rematch with league-leading North Carolina at 7 p.m. in a nationally televised game in Chapel Hill. Maryland lost 83-74 at Comcast Center on 2/4, but led by nine points early in the second half.
- The Terrapins lost 63-61 at Georgia Tech in their last outing, falling to eighth place in the Atlantic Coast Conference standings with a 6-8 league mark. The Terps have lost seven of their eight road games this season, but are only one game out of a tie for sixth. The Tar Heels are tied atop the league standings with Duke at 12-2.
- Currently at 16-12, Maryland is in line advance its string of consecutive winning seasons to 19. The last time a Terrapin team finished below .500 was 1992-93, when the Terps went 12-16 in the final year of crippling NCAA sanctions. Each school in the ACC has had a losing season since the Terps (including Duke 13-18 in 1995, UNC 8-20 in 2002).
- Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin continues to lead the ACC in scoring at 21.2 ppg and was 7th in the nation through last Sunday’s games. He is 6 points away from 600 for the season, which could be the 19th time a Terrapin player reached that plateau. He is 30 points away from becoming only the third Terrapin to reach 1,000 career points in only his second season at the school (Joe Smith, 1993-95; Tom McMillen, 1971-73).
- Junior forward James Padgett has 97 offensive rebounds this season and is only a few away from becoming only the eighth Terp in history to grab 100 on the offensive glass in a single season. His 3.5 offensive rpg is second in the league only behind UNC’s Tyler Zeller (3.8 rpg).
Scouting the Tar Heels
- North Carolina is 25-4 and 12-2 in the ACC, having won 10 of its last 11 games… The Tar Heels are ranked sixth in the nation in both the Associated Press Poll and the Coaches Poll.
- Averaging 45.9 rpg, North Carolina possesses the top rebounding team in the nation and the third-best scoring offense with an average of 81.9 points per game… The Tar Heels lead the conference in several statistical categories including scoring margin (15.8), rebounding margin (11.4), blocks per game (6.2), and assists per game (17.6), while ranking second in FG percentage (.462), FG percentage defense (.386), and defensive rebounding percentage (.722).
- Sophomore forward Harrison Barnes leads the team and ranks second in the ACC in scoring at 17.7 ppg, while senior Tyler Zeller is contributing 15.7 ppg and 9.3 rpg… 6-foot-11 junior John Henson leads the ACC in rebounds per game with 10.4, while adding 14 points a game for the Tar Heels… Henson also leads the conference in blocks with 3.1 per game.
- Sophomore Kendall Marshall is one of the top point guards in the nation, averaging 9.7 assists per game (second nationally) and supplying the nation’s best assists-turnover ratio at 3.6.
The Terps return home for Senior Day on Sunday, March 4, for a 2 p.m. matchup with Virginia…
The Terrapins will leave Tuesday, March 6 for the 2012 ACC Tournament, to be played at Philips Arena in Atlanta, with its open practice day coming on Wednesday.