Maryland (14-9, 4-5) at #10/9 Duke (20-4, 7-2)
Saturday, Feb. 10, 2012 | 4 p.m. | Durham, N.C. (Cameron Indoor Stadium)
ESPN / ESPN3 | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- Maryland continues its February road trip with its annual trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium to play Duke. The Terrapins started the week Tuesday with a 64-62 victory at Clemson and are in seventh place in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Blue Devils scored a last-second, 85-84 triumph over North Carolina on Wednesday to pull back into a three-way tie for the league lead with the Tar Heels and Florida State.
- The Terrapins faced Duke earlier in the season, dropping a 74-61 test on 1/25 at Comcast Center. Terrell Stoglin had 16 points and Pe’Shon Howard had 10 to account for the only two Maryland players who scored in double figures. Mason Plumlee had 23 points and 12 rebounds for the Devils in that game. Maryland was within five points with eight minutes left, but the Blue Devils pulled away down the stretch.
- Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin has kept up his scoring pace throughout the season. He comes into the Duke game averaging 22.0 ppg and has four straight games with at least 20 points or more. He is the only ACC player to have more than one 30-point game this year (Stoglin has three) and his 17 20-point games are nearly double anyone else in the league (UNC’s Harrison Barnes and C.J. Harris have nine each).
- Senior forward Sean Mosley had 16 points in the Tuesday win at Clemson. He became the 50th Terrapin in school history with 1,000 career points, hitting the mark with a free throw with 17:20 left in the first half. Mosley is expected to make his 100th career start as a Terrapin against Duke, joining a group of only 15 other players in school history to start that many games.
- Maryland currently has four players averaging at least five rebounds per game (James Padgett, Alex Len, Ashton Pankey and Mosley). That balance has been achieved at Maryland only once (2004-05) in the last 15 seasons.
Scouting the Blue Devils
- Duke is 20-4 overall and tied atop the ACC standings at 7-2 after coming back to defeat North Carolina in Chapel Hill on a buzzer-beater by Austin Rivers… The Blue Devils are ranked ninth in the Coaches Poll and 10th in the Associated Press Poll.
- Rivers continues to lead the team in scoring at a 15.1 ppg clip and had 29 against the Tar Heels… Guard Seth Curry is scoring 12.7 ppg and shooting .382 from 3FG… Forwards Ryan Kelly (12.7 ppg) and Mason Plumlee (11.5 ppg) represent the third and fourth players averaging double figures, with Plumlee’s 9.9 rebounds per game second in the league.
- The Blue Devils knocked down 14 3-pointers against North Carolina, and continue to lead the ACC in 3FG made per game (8.2)… Andre Dawkins (.408) and Rivers (.404) lead the team in long-range shooting percentage.
Maryland has back-to-back road games at Clemson (2/7) and Duke (2/11) before coming home to face Boston College on 2/16… Five of Maryland’s final eight games are on the road…
Maryland has four games remaining against nationally ranked teams, including the 2/11 matchup with Duke, two games (away on 2/18 and home on 3/4) against Virginia and a 2/29 return match at North Carolina.