Maryland (16-11, 6-7) at Georgia Tech (9-18, 2-11)
Saturday, Feb. 24, 2012 | 2:30 p.m. | Atlanta, Ga. (Philips Arena)
ACC Network-WNUV 54 in Baltimore | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- Maryland plays a rematch with Georgia Tech in a Saturday-afternoon matinee at Philips Arena. The Terps won, 61-50, in Comcast Center on 1/15 behind 18 points from Sean Mosley. The Terps have won 11 of the last 12 against the Yellow Jackets, with the lone blemish in that run (since 1/30/2005) being a 69-64 loss in the 2010 ACC Tournament.
- Maryland is in a tie with Clemson for seventh place in the league standings after Tuesday’s 75-70 win over Miami. The Terrapins are a game behind the tie for fifth in the standings between NC State and Miami. Georgia Tech is currently in 12th place in the league with a 2-11 mark, having lost four straight.
- Junior forward James Padgett tied his career-high with 16 points in Tuesday’s win over Miami. He is averaging 12.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in the last three games (Terps are 2-1). In that stretch he is shooting .722 from the floor (13-for-18) and .733 from the free-throw line (11-for-15). Maryland is 10-2 this season when he scores in double figures.
- Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin continues to lead the ACC in scoring, now with a 21.3 ppg mark. Stoglin is 48 points away from becoming only the third Terrapin in history to score 1,000 points in his first two seasons (Joe Smith, 1993-95; Tom McMillen, 1971-73). Stoglin is 24 points away from becoming the fifth sophomore at Maryland to score at least 600 points in a season.
- The Terps will attempt to string together back-to-back victories for the first time since defeating Wake Forest (70-64, 1/11) and Georgia Tech (61-50, 1/15). The Terps are 1-6 on the road so far this season, including a 1-5 mark in league games away from home.
Scouting the Yellow Jackets
- Georgia Tech is 9-18 overall and 2-11 in the ACC, having dropped 10 of its last 11 games… Most recently the Yellow Jackets fell 56-37 to Clemson at home, dropping their record to 1-7 in home games this year.
- Leading scorer Glen Rice, Jr. has been suspended the last two games… Rice is the lone Jacket scoring in double figures with 13.0 ppg and is also averaging a team-best 6.7 rebounds per game… Junior guard Mfon Udofia is second on the team in scoring (9.8 ppg) and has a team-high 68 assists.
- Sophomore forward Kammeon Holsey and sophomore center Daniel Miller are the only two players to have started all 27 games… Holsey is scoring 9.2 ppg while Miller is second in the ACC with 2.4 blocks per game and second on the team with 6.6 rebounds per game.
Maryland’s final road game of the regular season and its sixth in the month of February looms on Wednesday against North Carolina in a 7 p.m. tipoff on ESPN… The Terps return home for Senior Day on Sunday, March 4, for a 2 p.m. matchup with Virginia…
The Terrapins will leave Tuesday, March 6 for the 2012 ACC Tournament, to be played at Philips Arena in Atlanta, with its open practice day coming on Wednesday.