Maryland (13-7, 3-3) at Miami (12-7, 3-3)
Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012 | 8 p.m. | Miami, Fla.
ACC Network (WNUV 54 in Charm City) | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- Maryland begins a road-heavy February with a trip to south Florida to face Miami. The matchup features a pair of teams in a three-way tie for sixth place in the Atlantic Coast Conference with 3-3 records prior to Tuesday’s games (Clemson is the third team at 3-3). The Terrapins face six road games in the month of February against only three home contests, including a return match against the Hurricanes on Feb. 21.
- The Terrapins snapped a three-game losing streak with a 73-69 victory last Saturday against Virginia Tech. Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin scored 21 of his 28 points in the second half to lead the Terrapins and post his 14th 20-point game of the season. Maryland is 10-4 when Stoglin scores 20 points or more in a game. Stoglin is sixth in the nation in scoring through last Sunday’s games with a 21.3 ppg average. He is one of only 14 players who were averaging 20 points or better in the Division I statistics.
- Senior guard Sean Mosley added 15 points against the Hokies on Saturday, including a 5-for-5 performance at the foul line. Mosley is now 19 points away from becoming the 50th Terrapin in history with 1,000 career points. He is in line to become only the eighth Terrapin in history to combine 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 120 steals in a career. He hit the 3,000-minute plateau with his 32-minute effort on Saturday against Virginia Tech.
- The schedule also stiffens in terms of competition for the Terrapins from this point on, as only three of Maryland’s final 10 games are against teams above 70 in the RPI. Five games are against nationally ranked teams down the stretch.
Scouting the Hurricanes
- After winning back-to-back conference road games, Miami is 12-7 this season with a 2-2 mark in the ACC… Under the direction of Jim Larranaga, who is in his first season at Miami after a 14-year stint at George Mason, the Hurricanes have an 8-2 home record.
- Senior guard Malcolm Grant leads the team in scoring with 13.2 ppg and is one of four Hurricanes averaging double figures… Junior guard Durand Scott (12.6 ppg), junior forward/center Kenny Kadji (12.5 ppg) and junior center Reggie Johnson (10.1 ppg) are the others… Grant also ranks sixth in the ACC in 3-point FG percentage (.347) and as a team, the Hurricanes are second in the conference (.368).
- Johnson, who earned All-ACC honorable mention accolades a year ago after averaging 11.9 points per game and 9.6 rebounds per game, leads the team in rebounding again with 6.7 rpg… Kadji, a 6-foot-11 native of Cameroon, has a team-high 35 blocks including 3.0 bpg in conference play.
- Following the trip to Miami on 2/1, the Terps then return home to face nationally ranked North Carolina on 2/4…
The Terps will then play five of their next seven on the road… Maryland has only three home games and six road contests in February.