COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Maryland returns to Comcast Center after its trip to Puerto Rico to face Florida Gulf Coast… The Terrapins are 2-2 overall after winning one of three at the 5-hour Energy Puerto Rico Tip-Off… The Terps beat Colorado, 78-71, in the middle of the three games… They lost to 15th-ranked Alabama, 62-42, before dropping the finale to Iona, 89-63.
- Terrell Stoglin led Maryland in scoring at the tournament, averaging 18.3 points per game on the island… Stoglin had a career-high 32 points in the win over Colorado, scoring 25 points in the second half to lead the Terrapins back from an 11-point deficit… The sophomore’s previous career-high was 28 points set last year at North Carolina, and he became the first Terrapin to hit the 30-point plateau since Greivis Vasquez had 41 on 2/27/2010 in a double-overtime win at Virginia Tech.
- Stoglin comes into tonight’s game leading the Terrapins in scoring with a 19.3 ppg average overall… He has hit 23 of 25 free throws (.920) this season and is among the leaders in the Atlantic Coast Conference at the line.
- Senior Sean Mosley led Maryland with 21 points in the loss against Iona… He hit 4 of 8 from 3-point range and went 7-for-12 from the floor… Mosley was hot from long range in San Juan, hitting 9 of 16 behind the arc… He is Maryland’s second-leading scorer overall with a 12.3 ppg average.
- Redshirt freshman Ashton Pankey has been a pleasant surprise in the early stretches of this season… He already has two games with double figures in rebounds, and his 11 against Iona are the most by a Terrapin so far this season… His 8.8 rebounds-per-game average is among the top 10 in the ACC.
- Junior forward James Padgett is third on the team in scoring (7.3 ppg) and second in rebounding (6.5). Amazingly, 20 of his 26 rebounds so far have come on the offensive glass.
- Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon is only the eighth head coach in Maryland basketball history (1923-24) and only the fourth coach the Terps have had in the past 43 seasons (since Lefty Driesell became the new coach in 1969-70).Scouting The Eagles
- Florida Gulf Coast had a record of 2-3 overall following a 60-50 loss at Miami on Tuesday night…. Sherwood Brown had 19 points and 11 rebounds before fouling out after playing 29 minutes in the game… Brown was 8-for-12 from the floor.
- The Eagles lay claim to victories over Ave Maria University and Prairie View A&M, while they lost games to Texas Christian and Southern Methodist by one point each… Led by first-year head coach Andy Enfield, FGCU was picked to finish eighth of 10 teams in the Atlantic Sun preseason poll.
- FGCU’s roster is laden with youth – seven of the 13 players are freshmen and two are seniors… Three Eagles average double figures in scoring, led by junior guard Sherwood Brown, who averages 11.8 ppg and 6.4 rpg.
- Freshman guard Brett Comer scores at 11.2 ppg and averages 5.0 assists, with guard Bernard Thompson also scoring in double figures (10.8 ppg).
- Christopher Varidel has connected on 11 of 24 3-pointers (.458) this season… As a team the Eagles are connecting at a .464 mark including .393 from 3-point range.