Maryland standout Wells files lawsuit against former school

August 21, 2013 | WNST Staff

Maryland guard Dez Wells has filed a federal lawsuit against Xavier and its president.

According to reports, Wells is seeking an apology as well as damages for being wrongly dismissed from the university. The 21-year-old transferred and received a waiver to play at Maryland last season.

Wells was kicked out of Xavier in 2012 after being accused of sexual assault despite his claim that he engaged with consensual sex with another Xavier student. No charges were filed after he was cleared by the grand jury due to lack of evidence.

“From the moment the nightmare began, I’ve been trying to get everyone to understand that I am innocent,” Wells said in a statement released to multiple media outlets. “The supposed leaders at Xavier destroyed my reputation. It needs to make this right. Xavier needs to set the record straight.”

Wells was initially denied a waiver by the NCAA to play at Maryland last year before being cleared just before the start of the regular season in November. He averaged 13.1 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in his sophomore season with Mark Turgeon’s Terps.

In the lawsuit, Wells and his attorney claim that the school hurried to judgment after a “false and malicious investigation.”

“We have read the complaint and the allegations of wrongdoing are unfounded and cannot be supported,” Xavier president Father Michael Graham said in a statement released to Yahoo! Sports. “The process used by the Xavier University Conduct Board applies to all of our students and is the standard used in American universities. After members of the Conduct Board reached their decision, the matter was considered and upheld in an appeal. The sanction for the offense was expulsion.”

In the lawsuit, Wells desires “unspecified damages and to restore Wells’ reputation.”

Comments on Facebook

Leave a Reply