Boston College (8-17, 3-8) at Maryland (14-10, 4-6)
Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012 | 9 p.m. | Comcast Center
ACC Network-WNUV 54 in Baltimore | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- Maryland has one of its rare home games in the month of February when it hosts Boston College on Thursday in Comcast Center. The Terrapins are 14-10 overall and are in eighth place with a 4-6 mark at the in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Eagles are 8-17 overall and have lost seven of their last eight. The lone win in that stretch was a 64-60 upset of Florida State. BC was in 10th place before Wednesday’s games with a 3-8 mark.
- In pregame ceremonies, Maryland will honor Ernie Graham by adding a banner to the rafters of Comcast Center. Graham holds the single-game school record with 44 points in a 1978 game against NC State. Graham is 13th on the all-time list in scoring and 16th in assists.
- Maryland got season-best performances from two youngsters in its 73-55 loss at Duke on Saturday. Freshman Nick Faust led the Terrapins with 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting, matching his season-best 15 points scored in the win over Colorado in Puerto Rico. It was the first time this season Faust has led Maryland in scoring. Faust also led the Terps with a season-best eight rebounds. Sophomore Mychal Parker hit double figures in points for the first time in his career, getting a dozen in only 21 minutes off the bench. Parker went 6-for-6 at the free-throw line against the Blue Devils.
- Maryland has three games remaining against nationally ranked teams among its six left in the regular season, including its annual home-and-home visits with Virginia. The Terps also play at North Carolina on 2/29. Four of the final six are against teams ranked in the top 35 in the Ratings Percentage Index, as of Tuesday.
- Sophomore point guard Terrell Stoglin still leads the ACC in scoring with a 21.6 points-per-game average. He is the only player in the league with more than one 30-point game (Stoglin has three) and his 17 games with at least 20 points are almost double anyone else in the ACC (Harrison Barnes, UNC, and C.J. Harris, Wake Forest, each have nine).
Scouting the Eagles
- Boston College comes into Thursday’s game 8-17 overall, 3-8 in the Atlantic Coast Conference and 0-6 on the road this season. The Eagles have lost seven of the last eight, with the lone win in that stretch coming over Florida State last Wednesday.
- Matt Humphrey, a 6-foot-5 junior guard, leads the team in scoring with 10.4 ppg, and has attempted a team-high 139 3-pointers, connecting on 43 of them (.309). No team in the conference has attempted more threes than BC (540), and the Eagles rank sixth in the league in 3-point FG percentage (.341).
- Freshman forward Ryan Anderson is BCs top rebounder with a 6.8 per-game average, and is also chipping in 9.9 points per game. Another freshman, 7-foot center Dennis Clifford, joins Anderson in the frontcourt and is averaging 9.2 ppg.
- In all, Boston College has nine freshmen on its roster, and four were in the starting lineup last time out: Anderson, Clifford, and guards Jordan Daniels and Lonnie Jackson.
Maryland has a little better than a 36-hour turnaround before its 1 p.m. tipoff at Virginia on Saturday… The Terps then return home on Tuesday for their rematch against Miami (2/21)… Maryland has six regular-season games on the schedule, three at home and three on the road… Of the six remaining, three are against nationally ranked teams, including the home-and-home with the Cavaliers.