Radford (3-10) at Maryland (6-3)
Friday, Dec. 23 | 8 p.m. | Comcast Center
ESPN3 | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
- After playing only one game in a 16-day stretch, Maryland returns to the hardwood to face Radford and begin a stretch that has the Terrapins playing four games in 11 days. The matchup with the Highlanders is the third in a six-game homestand that lasts nearly a month.
- Maryland is on a three-game winning streak and has improved to 6-3 on the season. The Terps’ last three-game winning streak came in late January last season, a year in which Maryland won three straight games on four different occasions. The Terps’ most recent streak with at least four wins came 2/15/10 through 3/6/10 when they ended the regular season with seven straight victories.
- Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin has scored at least 20 points in five straight games. It marks the fifth time since the start of the 1992-93 season a Terrapin has had at least five straight 20-point games. Most recently, current NBA player Greivis Vasquez had seven straight in the 2009-10 season. Stoglin is averaging 24.6 points per game in his current streak and is hitting .462 from the floor in those five games.
- Redshirt freshman forward Ashton Pankey scored 11 of his 13 points in the second half of Maryland’s 65-61 win over FIU on Dec. 14. He missed some time in the first half getting three stitches in his lip before his second-half rally. Pankey scored 13 points for the second straight game.
- Maryland had its best defensive game of the season in the win over FIU. The Terrapins held the Panthers to just 36 percent shooting after halftime and a 40 percent mark overall. That marked the worst shooting percentage by a Terp opponent this season. Maryland also matched season-highs as a team in blocks (6) and steals (7) against FIU.
Scouting the Highlanders
- Radford is 3-10 following a 52-48 home loss to Eastern Michigan on Tuesday night… The Highlanders, under the direction of first-year head coach Mike Jones, won three of their first four games to open the season but have dropped nine in a row since.
- Sophomore guard Jareal Smith, a member of the Big South All-Freshman team a year ago, leads the team in scoring with 10.5 ppg… Smith and freshman guard R.J. Price have started every game, with Price leading the team in assists (2.7 apg) and ranking third in scoring (8.5 ppg).
- Jonathan Edwards, a senior forward, leads the team with 6.6 rebounds per game and contributes 10.4 ppg, good for second on the team.
- As a team the Highlanders are shooting just 36 percent from the field and 28.1 percent from 3-point range… Freshman guard Brian Darden is the team’s top long-range shooter, having connected at a .439 mark on 3-pointers this year.
- Radford will be playing a representative from a BCS conference for the fourth time this season, having already faced Penn State, Kentucky and Cincinnati.
The matchup with Radford is the third in a six-game homestand that also has the Terrapins home in eight of nine games through mid-January… Maryland’s next game away from Comcast Center is on Sunday, Jan. 8 at NC State in the Terps’ ACC opener… Maryland then returns home for two more league games (1/11/12 vs. Wake Forest and 1/15/12 vs. Georgia Tech) before finally hitting the road for back-to-back games.