Morgan State will face Eastern Michigan in the season opener on Saturday (Aug. 30) at Rynearson Stadium. The Bears enter the 2014 season under the leadership of new head coach Lee Hull. Eastern Michigan completed the 2013 season with a 2-10 overall record. Morgan State posted a 5-7 record and was tied for third in the MEAC with a 5-3 record in conference play. Game time at Rynearson Stadium is scheduled for 6 p.m. (CT) and will be shown on ESPN3 with Dan Gutowsky providing play-by-play and analysis by Dustin Fox. The game will also be broadcast live by Morgan State’s flagship station WEAA, 88.9 FM.
• Morgan State and Eastern Michigan will meet for the first time in history.
• MSU will enter the 2014 season with a number of veterans… the Bears’ roster has 64 returning players and 17 returning starters on its roster … there are 34 who started at least one game or were considered a starter last year … the roster also includes a number of veterans – 16 seniors and 13 juniors.
• The Bears return its top receiver from last season in Thomas Martin … Martin, a Naples (Fla.) product, started in every game and finished with 352 yards on 28 receptions.
• MSU will return a corps of running backs in 2014 with Lamont Brown III, Herb Walker Jr. and Tracy Martin the most likely candidates in the backfield.
• The Bears return an experienced trio of quarterbacks for coach Hull to choose from in Robert Council, Moses Skillon and Seth Higgins … Council has been named the starter heading into Week 1 against Eastern Michigan.
• Seven (7) starters return from the 2013 defense: Andrew Mitchell (DL), Cody Acker (LB), Christopher Robinson (LB), Ta’Quon Jackson (LB), Bill Hill (LB), Peterson Janvier (FS) and Nate Ayers (SS).
• Cody Acker, a 2013 Third Team All-MEAC selection, returns as one of the league leaders with 97 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, in addition to an interception for a touchdown.
• Coach Hull added six assistants to his initial coaching staff … the new coaches are: John Morgan (AHC), Fred Farrier (OC), Dwayne Foster (OL), Ken Lucas (RB), Brawley Evans (DB/RC), and Jamari McCollough (WR).
FIRST AND 10
• Morgan State enters the game having won three of its last four games dating back to last season.
• Morgan State is playing in the state of Michigan for the first time in school history.
• Morgan State and Eastern Michigan are meeting for the first time.
• Lee Hull will be making his head coaching debut when the Bears enter Rynearson Stadium.
• Redshirt freshman RB Arthur Dukes III (Ypsilanti/Milan HS) and freshman LB Jordan Cry (Detroit/Southfield HS) will be returning to their home state of Michigan.
BEARS OPEN 116th SEASON OF FOOTBALL SINCE 1898
MSU enters its 116th season of football, and the first under head coach Lee Hull.
In MSU’s football history, the Bears have posted a 51-35 record in season-openers since 1930. Eddie P. Hurt was far-and-away the most successful MSU coach in season-opening contests. During his tenure in Baltimore, Hurt posted a 23-6 mark in contests that christened the season (since 1930). Currently MSU is on a stretch of winning nine of its last 21 openers since 1989.
MORGAN STATE vs. THE MAC
Morgan State is 1-5 vs. current members of the Mid-American Conference. Morgan State is 0-2 vs. Akron, 0-1 vs. Bowling Green, and 1-2 vs. Buffalo. The Bears defeated Buffalo 45-27 on Oct. 3, 1992 under head coach Ricky Diggs – it marks the Bears only victory against a MAC team.
Copyright © 2012 Morgan State Athletics
1700 East Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore MD 21251 | 443.885.3333 | All Rights Reserved.
8.29 | Volleyball | East Tennessee State 3 – Morgan State 0 | Volleyball Opens Season This Weekend At Charlotte Invitational