2011-12 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Monday, January 9, 2012 – 8 p.m. (EST)
Morgan State (3-9, 1-0 MEAC) vs. Savannah State (6-9, 2-1 MEAC)
Savannah, Ga. – Tiger Arena
LIVE AUDIO at www.ssuathletics.com
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 105-74/6th
Career Record: 140-136
Basketball SID: Leonard L. Haynes IV
• Morgan State will wrap-up its holiday road swing when they face the Savannah State Tigers in conference action. The contest will tip-off at Tiger Arena on Monday, Jan. 9th at 8 p.m. (ET). This represents the first meeting between the Bears and Savannah State.
• Ameer Ali scored 19 points to lead Morgan State almost wire-to-wire over South Carolina State 73-68 in its conference opener on Saturday at the S-H-M Memorial Center. The Bears (3-9, 1-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) had four players in double figures as Kevin Thompson had 17 points, DeWayne Jackson 14 and Ian Chiles 10. Ali, who came into tonight’s contest fresh off a career high 21 points against San Francisco, was 7 of 9 from the free-throw line.
• The Bears lost to then-No. 14/15 Xavier, Southern California, Cal Poly and Ohio — all on the road by nine points or fewer.
• The Bears are in the midst of concluding a four game road swing, with its furthest road game against the USF Dons and its final road game at Savannah State on Monday night.
• Kevin Thompson has scored in double-digits in nine of 12 games, and has posted four double-doubles (pts & rebs) so far this season.
• Senior point guard Larry Bastfield is the only Bear to have started in every game (31) last season…currently he has started in 43 straight games.
• Kevin Thompson”s 11 rebound performance at Southern Cal gave him 1,005 rebounds for his career, making him the No. 3 leading rebounder in school history and only the third Morgan State player to post 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in school history. He currently has 1,342 points and 1,069 rebounds in his career.
• The Bears will look to rebound from last year’s fourth place MEAC finish and reclaim the conference title for the fourth time in five years.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
• Redshirt sophomore Ian Chiles (7-foot-2) is the first 7-footer since MSU legend Marvin Webster to grace the campus of Morgan State University … Chiles, a Cliffside Park, N.J. product, is currently averaging 9.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks so far this season.
A BEARS WIN WOULD…
• Give the Bears a 2-0 record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Give Todd Bozeman his 106th win as MSU’s head coach.
• Give the Bears its third road victory of the season.
• Improve Todd Bozeman’s overall record to 141 career wins.
• Improve Todd Bozeman’s regular season conference record to 64-20 (.761) since joining the Bears in 2006.
• Junior forward DeWayne Jackson has 950 points, and needs 50 more to become the 21st member of the 1,000-point club at Morgan State.
NOTE ON THE TIGERS
• Morgan State and Savannah State will meet for the first time.
• The Tigers are struggling from the free throw line where they are shooting just 56.8 percent (168-296) … Deric Rudolph leads the Tigers from the stripe by shooting 73.9 percent and ranks No. 2 in the MEAC in 3-pointers made (2.3 avg/g).
• Savannah State has one of the top defenses in the conference … The Tigers are currently limiting teams to 64.2 points per game and ranks No. 2 in the MEAC in scoring defense.
TIGERS LAST GAME OUT
Arnold Louis and Deric Rudolph combined to score 42 points to lead Savannah State to a come from behind 72-60 win over visiting Coppin State in Tiger Arena. Louis came off the bench to score 24 points, pulled down 17 rebounds and get four steals while Rudolph scored 18 points and hit five 3-pointers. Trailing 45-36 with 17:16 on the clock, SSU strung together a 27-8 run to go ahead 63-53 with 4:34 remaining. SSU built a 11 point lead late in the contest before pulling out the 12-point victory.
Morgan State sophomore guard Justin Black will miss the remainder of the season due to a fractured ankle. Black has not played since the Bears’ home-opener against Murray State on Nov. 24th, in which he scored seven points with three rebounds and three steals in 29 minutes. Black’s absence, by the numbers, has been missed in the backcourt. The 6-2 sophomore averaged 9.2 points and 2.5 rebounds in 25.5 minutes in his first two games of the season.
MSU will host Norfolk State in conference play on Saturday, January 14.