2011 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Tuesday, November 22 – 7 p.m. (PT)
Morgan State (0-3, 0-0 MEAC) vs. USC (1-2, 0-0 Pac 12)
Los Angeles, Calif. – Galen Center
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 102-68/6th
Career Record: 137-30
Basketball SID: Leonard L. Haynes IV
• Morgan State will face USC in Los Angeles, California at the Galen Center on Tuesday, Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. (PT) The game will be televised live by FoxSports Net and will be broadcast by ESPN Radio 710 (KSPN-AM). There will also be a Gametracker at USCTrojans.com. This will be MSU’s first-ever meeting with the Trojans and will mark USC’s final home game as part of the Las Vegas Invitational.
• MSU is off to an 0-3 start with a road loss at #14/15 Xavier (63-74), a home loss against Murray State (69-80) and a recent loss at UNLV (92-55). The Bears will continue its stretch of four games in six days when they face the USC Trojans on Tuesday night.
• Ian Chiles led the Bears with a career-high 16 points (8-13), Shaquille Duncan had 11 points and Kevin Thompson chipped in 9 points in a 92-55 loss against UNLV at the Thomas & Mack Center.
• Senior forward Kevin Thompson needs just six more rebounds to reach 1,000 in his career.
• The Bears will look to rebound from last year’s fourth place MEAC finish and reclaim the conference title for the fourth time in five years.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
• MSU senior Kevin Thompson returns to lead the Bears this season…the 6-foot-9 forward was the 2010 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year and was selected to the 2011 All-District 1st Team … Thompson averaged 13.1 points per game, 9.1 rebounds and has recorded 13 double-doubles (pts & rebs) last season.
• MSU recorded several non-conference victories last year including wins over Loyola Marymount University (81-79), Maryland Baltimore County (75-62), Western Illinois (72-53), Robert Morris (67-66).
• Morgan State has lost four straight dating back to their loss against Hampton in the MEAC Championship game on March 12,2011.
• Senior point guard Larry Bastfield is the only Bear to have started in every game (31) last season…currently he has started in 34 straight games.
THE SERIES VS. THE TROJANS
• Morgan State and USC will meet for the first time on Tuesday.
NOTE ON THE TROJANS
• David Hanson hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:26 remaining to lift Cal Poly to a 42-36 victory over Southern California on Saturday, snapping the Mustangs’ nine-game losing skid against Pac-12 schools. Aaron Fuller had 15 points and eight rebounds for the Trojans (1-3), who lost their third in a row. All four of their games have been decided by seven points or less.
• USC will be playing its fifth game of seven within 16 days to start the season. Six of the seven games are potentially versus teams that finished .500 or better in the 2010-11 season.
• Five of the eight Trojans to have played significant minutes this season have already had a 10-point scoring game. Four different players have had at least 6 rebounds.
• USC’s 2011-12 schedule features 22 of 31 games against teams which finished the 2010-11 season with a record of .500 or better. Among the nonconference highlights are games against perennial national powers Kansas, UNLV, New Mexico, Minnesota, Nebraska and a potential match-up vs. preseason No. 1 North Carolina.
BEARS TO COMPETE IN LAS VEGAS INVITATIONAL
• The 11th annual Las Vegas Invitational, which is scheduled for November 25th and 26th at the Orleans Arena.
• The Invitational will feature preseason top-ranked North Carolina, UNLV, South Carolina and the University of Southern California, plus Morgan State, Cal-Poly, Mississippi Valley and Tennessee State.