Morgan State (3-3, 2-1 MEAC) continues the 2012 season play in a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference matchup against Howard on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at Greene Stadium. The game will mark Homecoming for Howard. The Bison enter the 2012 season under the leadership of second-year head coach Gary “The Flea” Harrell. The Bison (4-2, 3-1) are coming off a disappointing 38-10 loss at North Carolina A&T. The Bears fell in the last seconds to North Carolina Central 24-20 in Hughes Stadium.
THE BEARS-BISON MATCHUP
• The Bears and Bison will meet for the 66th time since 1931. Morgan leads the series 40-24-1.
• Morgan State posted a 14-9 win against Howard last year at the New York Urban League Football Classic in front of 24,996 fans in attendance… redshirt-freshmanRobert Council threw the first touchdown of his career when he connected with tight end Kristian Johnson for a 3-yard score. Council led the Bears by completing 12 of 18 passes for 119 yards.
• The last time the Bears were in Greene Stadium was on Oct. 18, 2008 … RB Devan James rushed for a career-high 219 yards and scored two touchdowns, including one in overtime to help Morgan State beat Howard 31-30 in double-overtime, handing a Howard Homecoming loss before 6,843 fans at Greene Stadium.
• Travis Davidson currently leads the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) in rushing with 619 yards (103.2 avg/g). He also ranks No. 1 the MEAC in scoring (60 Pts).
• QB Robert Council, making his second career start, completed 8-of-18 passes for 91 yards and was sacked three times against North Carolina Central.
• Cornerback Joe Rankin registered his 9th interception of his career, picking off Savannah State quarterback Antonio Bostic in the 1st quarter…He currently leads the MEAC in INTs with four in six games…he also leads the league in passes defended (10).
• The MSU defense has collected 10 interceptions (FCS T-8th) through the first six games of 2012.
• The Bears continue to be among the top scoring offenses in the league, entering Saturday’s contest as the MEAC’s No. 3 ranked scoring offense (26.0 avg/g).
• True freshman LB Elandon Roberts currently ranks No. 7 in the MEAC in tackles by posting 53 tackles so far this season … he recorded a season-high 14 tackles against N.C A&T and was named Rookie of the Week.
• Redshirt sophomore DE Chris Robinson posted seven tackles and two sacks vs. N.C. Central … he currently leads the MEAC with five sacks (5).
• Travis Davidson currently has 1,351 yards and sits 101 yards away from surpassing James Fields at No. 10 on the school’s all-time rushing list.
• Earvin Gonzalez currently ranks No. 1 in the MEAC by connecting on 10-of-14 field goals and is a perfect 18-of-18 on PATs and booted a career-high 47-yard field goal against N.C. Central.
• Howard ranks among the nation’s top black college football teams The Bison currently rank No. 8 in the Heritage Top 10 Poll, No. 9 in the BoxToRow HBCU Media Top 10 Poll and No. 9 in the Sheridan Poll.
• In 2011, Howard finished with a 5-6 overall record and 4-4 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).
• Sophomore QB Greg McGee leads the Bison on offense this season. The 6-3, 200-pounder from Pittsburgh (Pa.) has completed 37 of 70 for 386 yards and a touchdown with four interceptions. He has also rushed for 127 yards on 35 carries (3.6 avg) with two touchdowns.
• Through the first six games, RB Aquanius Freeman (5-10, 213) has been the Bison’s leading ground gainer and is among the league’s rushing leaders (Ranked 7th). The sophomore from New Orleans, La. has recorded 57 carries for 370 yards (6.5 avg), including 5 TDs. He was named MEAC Offensive Player of the Week following a a career-high 212 yards on 13 carries with two touchdowns to lead Howard to a 56-9 victory over Savannah State.
• MSU’s offense will have to account for the Bison’s All-American linebacker Keith Pough. Pough currently ranks among the league leaders with 49 tackles (ranks 3rd), 8.5 tackles for loss (ranked 2nd) and 3.5 sacks (T-7th).
• Through six games, the Howard defense has allowed 145.0 rushing yards per game, which ranks 5th in the MEAC. The Bison also rank 3rd in sacks (17) and 5th in total defense (359.2).
After Saturday’s contest versus Howard, the Bears will play at home against the Delaware State Hornets. The matchup is set for Thursday, October 25 and will be televised by ESPNU. Kickoff at 7:30 p.m.