2011-12 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Saturday, January 28, 2012 – 6:00 p.m. (EST)
Morgan State (5-12, 3-3 MEAC) vs. Norfolk State (15-6, 7-0 MEAC)
Norfolk, Va. – Echols Hall
LIVE AUDIO at www.nsuspartans.com (Click “LIve Audio” link under Inside Athletics tab)
LIVE STATS at www.nsuspartans.com
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 106-75/6th
Career Record: 141-137
Basketball SID: Leonard L. Haynes IV
2011 MSU SCHEDULE & RESULTS
OFFICIAL NSU WEBSITE
• Morgan State will prepare for a trip to the Tidewater to face the Norfolk State Spartans on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 6:00 p.m. (ET), before playing against Hampton Pirates on Monday, Jan. 30 in an ESPNU televised contest set to tip at 7 p.m. MSU will look to avenge a 90-89 2OT loss to Norfolk State and will attempt to sweep the series against Hampton, before heading back to Baltimore for a five-game homestand.
• MSU will look to improve upon a 2-7 road records … the seven losses were by an average of 15 points per game.
• Larry Bastfield scored a career-high 20 points in leading the Morgan State Bears to a 71-64 win over the Eagles of North Carolina Central. Bastfield, the Bears’ starting point guard, made 7 of 14 field goals to notch the most points he had scored since posting 15 points against N.C. A&T on January 31, 2011.
• Morgan State played the NSU and Hampton games without coach Todd Bozeman, who was on administrative leave. Kevin McClain led the Bears as interim coach.
• MSU has played teams tough with losses to then-No. 14/15 Xavier, Southern California, Cal Poly, Ohio and Savannah State — all on the road by nine points or fewer.
• Kevin Thompson has scored in double-digits in 11 of 17 games, and has posted four double-doubles (pts & rebs) so far this season.
• Senior point guard Larry Bastfield is the only Bear to have started in every game (31) last season…currently he has started in 48 straight games.
• Junior swingman DeWayne Jackson currently leads the team by averaging 13.0 ppg and 3.4 rpg. Jackson is averaging 18 points over the last five games, including a game-high 33 against Norfolk State.
• Redshirt sophomore Ian Chiles (7-foot-2) is the first 7-footer since MSU legend Marvin Webster to grace the campus of Morgan State University … Chiles, a Cliffside Park, N.J. product, is currently averaging 9.9 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.0 blocks so far this season.
• The Bears will look to rebound from last year’s fourth place MEAC finish and reclaim the conference title for the fourth time in five years.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
A BEARS WIN WOULD…
• Give the Bears a 4-3 record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Give Todd Bozeman his 107th victory as MSU’s head coach.
• Give the Bears its third road victory of the season.
• Give the Bears its 12th victory against Norfolk State since the 1959-69 season.
LARRY BASTFIELD’S BIG NIGHT
Senior point guard Larry Bastfield scored a career-high 20 points against the N.C. Central, and calling that unlikely would be an understatement. This season, only three other Bears have scored more than 20 points in a game.
CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE 1,000 PT CLUB
• Junior forward DeWayne Jackson eclipsed the 1,000 point mark for his career as a result of pouring in a career-high 33 points against Norfolk State on Jan. 14. With 1,042 points, Jackson is the 21st member of the 1,000-point club at MSU.
BROOKS’ STREAK AT THE STRIPE IMPROVES TO 17
Senior guard Aric Brooks did what he does best on Monday night when he hit his 17th consecutive free-throw since the Bears’ Jan. 14. double-overtime thriller against Norfolk State. The Baltimore product needs to hit 12 more consecutive free throws in order to best the previous school record, held by former Morgan State guard Reggie Holmes. Holmes hit 28 straight shots from the charity stripe during the 2009-10 season. Brooks has gone 18-of-19 since the Norfolk State game and ranks No. 5 in the MEAC (.795 FT).
JACKSON RETURNS TO THEFTY WAYS
Nearly all of DeWayne Jackson’s numbers improved this season from last season, with one notable: Steals. Through his first 17 games, Jackson is averaging 1.6 steals per game, up from 1.4 during the 2010-11. He has recorded 101 thefts in his career.
NOTE ON THE SPARTANS
• The Spartans hold a 29-11 all-time record against MSU since the series began during the 1959-60 season.
• NSU swept the series last year by defeating the Bears 76-74 during an ESPU televised game at Hill Field House, and on the road (69-63) at Echols Hall.
• The last time MSU defeated Norfolk State at Echols Hall was Jan. 31, 2010. The Bears trailed 90-89 with 2:35 left in the extra period, before scoring eight straight. Dewayne Jackson’s dunk gave MSU a 97-90 lead with 24 seconds left. Reggie Holmes scored 19 points, including traditional 3-point play in overtime that gave MSU the lead for good, and the Bears outlasted NSU 100-94.
• Norfolk State has won eight of its last nine, and sit in control of the conference with a 7-0 record.
• Kyle O’Quinn has averaged 24 ppg during his last three outings against the Bears, including a 25 point effort during the Spartans double overtime victory at Hill Field House this season.
MSU will face Hampton in an ESPNU matchup on Monday, January 30th. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.