2011-12 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Monday, January 30, 2012 – 7:00 p.m. (EST)
Morgan State (5-13, 3-4 MEAC) vs. Hampton Pirates (7-13, 3-4 MEAC)
Hampton, Va. – HU Convocation Center
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 106-76/6th
Career Record: 141-138
Basketball SID: Leonard L. Haynes IV
• Morgant State will face the Hampton Pirates on Monday, Jan. 30 in an ESPNU televised contest set to tip at 7 p.m. MSU will look to bounce back from a disappointing 76-59 loss at Norfolk State and will attempt to sweep the series against Hampton, before heading back for a five-game homestand.
• MSU will look to improve upon a 2-8 road records … the eight losses were by an average of 15 points per game. The last road victory posted by the Bears was on Jan. 7th at South Carolina State.
• Kyle O’Quinn scored 18 points and posted 12 rebounds to lead the Spartans to an impressive 76-59 victory against Morgan State before a packed crowd Saturday night at Echols Hall. Kevin Thompson led the Bears with 13 points and 12 rebounds for his fifth double-double effort of the season.
• Morgan State played the Norfolk State and Hampton games without coach Todd Bozeman, who was on administrative leave. Kevin McClain led the Bears as interim coach.
• MSU has played teams tough with losses to then-No. 14/15 Xavier, Southern California, Cal Poly, Ohio and Savannah State — all on the road by nine points or fewer.
• Kevin Thompson has scored in double-digits in 13 of 18 games, and has posted five double-doubles (pts & rebs) so far this season.
• Senior point guard Larry Bastfield is the only Bear to have started in every game (31) last season…currently he has started in 49 straight games.
• Junior swingman DeWayne Jackson currently leads the team by averaging 12.6 ppg and 3.4 rpg, including a career-high 33 points against Norfolk State on Jan. 14th.
• Redshirt sophomore Ian Chiles (7-foot-2) is the first 7-footer since MSU legend Marvin Webster to grace the campus of Morgan State University … Chiles, a Cliffside Park, N.J. product, is currently averaging 9.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks so far this season.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
During the Bozeman era the Bears have gone 46-11 (.807) home record inside the confines of Hill Field House, including a loss against N.C. A&T on Jan. 21.
A BEARS WIN WOULD…
• Give the Bears a 4-4 record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Give Todd Bozeman his 107th victory as MSU’s head coach.
• Give the Bears its third road victory of the season.
• Give the Bears its fifth consecutive regular season victory against Hampton.
BROOKS’ STREAK AT THE STRIPE IMPROVES TO 25
• Senior guard Aric Brooks had his string of 25 consecutive free throws snapped Saturday at NorfolkState where he finished the game by going 8 of 10 from the free throw line.
• The Baltimore product needed to hit four more consecutive free throws in order to best the previous school record, held by former Morgan State guard Reggie Holmes. Holmes hit 28 straight shots from the charity stripe during the 2009-10 season.
• Brooks has gone 26-of-29 since the Norfolk State game and ranks No. 5 in the MEAC (.796FT).
CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE 1,000 PT CLUB
• Junior forward DeWayne Jackson eclipsed the 1,000 point mark for his career as a result of pouring in a career-high 33 points against Norfolk State on Jan. 14. With 1,048 points, Jackson is the 21st member of the 1,000-point club at MSU.
THE SERIES VS. THE PIRATES
• Monday’s game will be the 32nd meeting between Morgan State and Hampton The Pirates hold a 20-11 all-time record against the Bears.
• The Bears have won four of the last five meetings against the Pirates, with the one loss against Hampton at last year’s MEAC championship game.
• The last time MSU defeated Hampton at the HU Convocation Center was Jan. 11, 2010. The Bears finished with four players scoring in double- figures, led by Reggie Holmes who paced the Bears with 16 points to defeat Hampton 73-63. Kevin Thompson and Troy Smith scored 11 points apiece, while DeWayne Jackson added 10 points and seven boards.
NOTE ON THE PIRATES
• HU’s last win against Morgan State — Hampton got some timely baskets from Darrion Pellum to help the Pirates beat the Bears 60-55 in the MEAC Tournament Championship game at the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Darrion Pellum was named to the Most Valuable Player of the tournament
• Hampton has lost five of its last six games, including a loss on Saturday against Coppin State.
• Senior All-MEAC guard Darrion Pellum continues to be one of the top scorers in the league. The senior leads the MEAC in scoring by averaging 18.6 points and is shooting 37.7 percent from the field and 31.3 percent from 3-point territory. The Hampton, Va. native is also averaging 3.9 rebounds per game and 1.7 assists.
• > Hampton is currently ranked No. 8 in the MEAC averaging 38.6 rebounds per game, and rank No. 4 in the league in offensive rebounds (36.2/g).
LARRY BASTFIELD’S BIG NIGHT
Senior point guard Larry Bastfield scored a career-high 20 points against the N.C. Central, and calling that unlikely would be an understatement. This season, only three other Bears have scored more than 20 points in a game.
MSU will return home to take on cross-town rival Coppin State in a conference matchup on Saturday, February 4. Tip-off is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.