Mount St. Mary’s (1-6) at Maryland (4-3)
Wednesday, Dec. 7 | 8 p.m. | Comcast Center
ESPN3 | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Maryland begins a six-game homestand with a matchup against local rival Mount St. Mary’s on Wednesday night. The Terrapins are 4-3 after a 78-71 win over Notre Dame on Sunday in the BB&T Classic at Verizon Center. The Mount is 1-6 after having lost five straight, including a pair of Northeast Conference games last weekend at home to St. Francis, N.Y., and Long Island.
- The Terrapins won at Verizon Center on Sunday for the third time in the last eight games in the BB&T Classic. The Terps got a game-high 31 points from sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin, who fell one point short of his career-high set earlier this year in a victory over Colorado in San Juan, P.R. Senior guard Sean Mosley added 17 points, six rebounds and three assists, while junior forward James Padgett earned the first double-double of his career with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Stoglin earned Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week honors for averaging 28.0 points per game over Maryland’s previous two games. In addition to the 31 against the Fighting Irish, Stoglin led the Terps with 25 against Illinois, which has climbed into the national rankings with an 8-0 record. Stoglin is the leading scorer in the ACC with a 22.4 ppg average and is ninth nationally with that mark. He is the only ACC player averaging better than 20 points a game and is the only player in the league who has hit the 30-point plateau twice so far this season.
- Mosley has continued his consistently strong all-around play for the Terrapins. One of only two Terps to have started all seven games so far (Nick Faust is the other), Mosley is second on the team in scoring (11.0 ppg), third on the team in rebounding (5.4 rpg) and second with five blocked shots. Mosley has improved his shooting percentage from the floor this year from .413 a year ago to .472 so far. The improvement is more substantial behind the 3-point line, going from .269 last year to .480 this year. Mosley’s 12 3-pointers in seven games this year are only two short of the season-long totals of 14 he had in each of the last two years.
- Padgett has developed into an offensive force recently, having scored in double figures in each of the last three games. He scored a career-high 16 against a good Illinois front line. Better accuracy from the free-throw line has helped Padgett recently, as he is 14-for-21 at the line in his last three games after beginning the season 3-for-11. A solid finisher around the basket, Padgett has been strong on the offensive glass. Of his 45 rebounds this year, 30 have come off the offensive glass, and he leads the ACC in offensive rebounding (4.3 rpg).
- Maryland’s game on Dec. 14 against FIU has been moved to a 7:30 p.m. starting time and will be telecast on ESPN. The Terrapins are home through the rest of December and into the new year. The Terrapins first game at an opponents’ venue this season will come at the end of the homestand, Jan. 8 at NC State.
Scouting the Mountaineers
- Mount St. Mary’s enters Wednesday’s matchup with a 1-6 record on the season including a 0-2 mark in the Northeast Conference… Robert Burke (Haverford, ’88) is in his second season as the head coach at the Mount…
- Senior forward Danny Thompson is coming off a career-best 21-point performance in the Mount’s 85-76 loss to Long Island on Saturday… Thompson, one of two players to start all seven games, leads the team in scoring (10.1 ppg) and ranks second in the Northeast Conference with 8.4 rebounds per game… The 6-foot-7 Springdale, Md., native also ranks second in the league in blocks (2.0 pg)…
- Junior forward Raven Barber has joined Thompson in the starting frontcourt in six games and ranks fourth on the team with 9.6 ppg, and first in field-goal percentage (28 of 51, .549)…
- Sophomore guard Julian Norfleet is the other Mountaineer to have started every game and is averaging 10.0 ppg… Norfleet leads the team in 3-point attempts (44) and makes (15)… Sophomore guard Josh Castellanos is hitting .444 from 3-point range, while Freshman guard Kelvin Parker is connecting at a .400 mark from 3PT.
- The Mount has played a difficult schedule thus far, with games at Marquette, Minnesota and Navy… It’s lone win came over Siena, 65-53, on Nov. 19, and, on the season, the Mountaineers are averaging just 56.4 points per game.
Maryland will play its next six and eight of its next nine games at Comcast Center in a stretch that has the Terps mostly home through mid-January… The Terrapins’ next game away from the area is on Sunday, Jan. 8 at NC State.