It’s a Happy Thursday for me because Mike Tyson, Wayne Brady and Bobby Brown blew up in the interwebs yesterday…
Let’s see what everyone has to say…
1. WNST.net’s Glenn Clark says John Harbaugh claimed Ravens DE Trevor Pryce ‘will be back with us’
I’m torn on this.
I understand that there are circumstances that meant Trevor Pryce might not dress anyway in the Steel City. I understand that the Ravens like what Ken Hamlin brings to the table defensively, in veteran leadership and most importantly on Special Teams.
I understand all of that.
But I will admit that I am uncomfortable with the entire situation. The NFL mandates that you keep a 53 man roster. I would imagine that if the Ravens COULD release Prince Miller they probably would have, but he has to stay on the roster for another week.
We’ll see how this all shakes out. If anything, it says the most about Trevor Pryce-who was once amongst the best defensive players in the AFC; but now finds himself as nothing more than a potential roster casualty.
2. The AP’s David Ginsburg says Ray Rice didn’t practice Wednesday, but teammates believe he’ll play Sunday in Pittsburgh vs. Steelers
Ray was made unavailable by Ravens staffers yesterday, but he had no noticeable limp when he was walking in the locker room and walking on the practice field. For now, I’ll lean towards the idea that he’s 60-40 to be on the field at Heinz Field. That number is trending up…
And honestly, I think the Ravens can survive without Ray Rice Sunday. I think they can still establish something with Willis McGahee, Le’Ron McClain and Jalen Parmele-even if they aren’t as dynamic as they would be with Rice.
Still-I’m betting he plays as of this moment.
3. BaltimoreRavens.com’s Mike Duffy says Jared Gaither (back) returned to practice for first time since early in Training Camp
It was clearly good to see Gaither back out on the practice field. It would be particularly helpful if he could see the field Sunday, but I will admit that I am not expecting it.
You know who it would be REALLY nice to see on the practice field in Owings Mills? Shannon James. (Thanks The Smoking Jacket!)
4. National Football Post’s Aaron Wilson says Anquan Boldin named AFC Offensive Player of the Week
Boldin’s response? “Doesn’t matter.”
A couple of things before we move on from the Ravens…
-Cory Redding (concussion) and Tony Moll (hip) also didn’t practice Wednesday. We don’t know much yet about their status for Sunday, we’ll hope to find out more today.
-Speaking of which, Ryan Chell will be out at 1 Winning Drive in Owings Mills today (I’m moving…yes…in the monsoon) for Ravens practice. Make sure you’re tuned into AM1570, following on Twitter (@WNST) and checking WNST.net for updates. We are expected to hear from Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron, Defensive Coordinator Greg Mattison and Special Teams Coordinator Jerry Rosburg following practice.
Apparently someone made a mistake and sent Brian Matusz to the hill last night at The Trop wearing a “Millwood” jersey. Weird.
I assume that’s the last time we’ll ever see Kevin Millwood in a Birds uniform, so at least he gave us a nice memory. Or he gave the 73 people in Charm City who were watching the game a nice memory.
I would have watched, but “Modern Family” was on last night. Sorry.
6. The AP/WNST.net offer numerical evidence of win
Millwood’s line in out-dueling Jeff Niemann? 7IP, 0R, 2H, 3BB, 7K.
Felix Pie added a two run triple; scoring Adam Jones and Nick Markakis.
We’ll call the numbers “effective.”
Effective enough in fact that it’s worth going to look at them-then coming back here. When you come back here, Pheobe Price will be waiting for you. (Thanks Don Chavez!)
7. The Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec says O’s considering adding bars/restaurants to Oriole Park at Camden Yards
I think this is a bit of a no-brainer. They’re not selling out their boxes and club seats, so it would make sense to alter some of the club level to include a few restaurants and bars with a view of the field.
They don’t need to go crazy with this. When I was in Phoenix, Chase Field not only had a TGI Friday’s in left field (which was nice); but they also had a NIGHTCLUB in Center Field. That isn’t necessary.
But I wouldn’t mind there being something like a Hightopps in left field…where I could sit and enjoy 23-368 Mooseheads. You know, somewhere that I could look like this…
8. MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli says Arrieta will avoid surgery after getting second opinion
Before we move on from the Orioles, a few things…
-Alfredo Simon had his suspension reduced from two; which he began serving last night. I’d have a reaction, but really…why???
-The Orioles finished the road portion of their schedule last night, they now return home to OPACY for the final series of the season. The Detroit Tigers are in town, and if the rain will allow, Jeremy Bonderman will face Jeremy Guthrie tonight; and first pitch on MASN will be at 7:05pm.
9. TowsonTigers.com says Cincinnati Associate AD Mike Waddell introduced as new Athletic Director
Did you miss Mike Waddell this morning with Drew Forrester on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST? If you did, make sure you head over to the BuyAToyota.com Audio Vault here at WNST.net to check it out! Other things you can find in the Audio Vault include…
- Sean McManus (CBS Sports President/son of Jim McKay)-who discussed the Sports TV industry and this Saturday’s Jim McKay Maryland Million at Laurel Park with Drew Thursday morning
- Sean Salisbury (“Sean Unfiltered”-Voice America Sports Radio)-who joined Drew Thursday morning to talk all things NFL
- Bob Harris (Duke Play by Play Voice)-who joined Drew Thursday morning to preview Saturday’s showdown between the Blue Devils and Terrapins
- Jason La Canfora (NFL Network)-who joined Drew Thursday morning to take a trip around the league
- Damon Klepczynski (Mountain Branch)-who joined Drew Thursday morning to talk some Ryder Cup
- Roland Williams (VERSUS College Football analyst, former Raiders/Rams TE)-who joined Rex Snider Thursday afternoon on “The Afternoon Drive” Wednesday to preview Navy/Air Force Saturday
- Jennie Finch (Former USA Softball Player)-who joined Rex Wednesday to discuss her role with the Avocado League
- Casper Wells (Detroit Tigers OF, former Towson Tiger)-who joined Thyrl Nelson Wednesday on “The Mobtown Sports Beat” to preview his return to Baltimore this weekend
- TONS of audio from 1 Winning Drive Wednesday-including John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Jarret Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Kelly Gregg, Willis McGahee and Le’Ron McClain
It’s all in the Audio Vault-so don’t worry; I have your day planned for you again. Look outside. It’s not like you were going anywhere…
10. D1scourse’s Patrick Stevens says Maryland WR Torrey Smith expected to play Saturday vs. Duke
But if for some reason the star Wide Receiver COULDN’T go, I’d recommend Ralph Friedgen consider inserting Roxanne Pallett. (Thanks Guyism!)
And finally, I leave you with this.
Best ever rain song? How about Led Zeppelin…
The O.A.R./Robert Randolph version isn’t bad either…
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…