Turgeon denies Allen, Mitchell have asked for releases

May 01, 2014 | Glenn Clark

A tumultuous offseason for Mark Turgeon’s University of Maryland basketball team appeared to take another strange turn Wednesday, as two players were reported to be interested in transferring.

TheRecruitScoop.com reported early Wednesday that rising junior guard Seth Allen has asked for his release from the program and later in the day Terrapin Times reported rising junior Charles Mitchell could also potentially look to leave the program.

Turgeon denied those reports in text messages to the Baltimore Sun and Washington Post Wednesday night. The coach told The Sun the report that Allen had asked for his release was “not true” and the rumors surrounding Mitchell were “not correct”. The Sun and InsideMDSports.com however both reported that Allen had told some teammates he was going to leave.

A source close to the program told WNST.net Wednesday they were unaware if any decisions had been made.

Should either player decide to transfer in the future they would join three players who have already departed the program this offseason. Nick Faust officially transferred to Oregon State earlier Wednesday, big man Shaquille Cleare previously transferred to Texas and Roddy Peters has not yet decided where he will be transferring.

Changes to the Maryland coaching staff and players being recruited over have all lead to these defections. The Terps could be without all three assistant coaches they started the 2012-2013 season with in a few days. They already lost Dalonte Hill (resignation after a third DUI arrest) during the course of the season and Scott Spinelli (accepted similar position at Boston College) after the season ended. Fellow assistant Bino Ranson is a finalist to replace Fang Mitchell at Coppin State along with former Eagles great Larry Stewart and George Mason assistant Eric Skeeters.

Turgeon has brought in a highly regarded recruiting class that could take playing time away from whatever players remain from last season’s team. Incoming guard Melo Trimble is widely believed to be ready to inherit the starting point guard responsibilities, potentially relegating Allen to the bench if he stays. Jarred Nickens and Dion Wiley are also expected to get early playing time in the backcourt. Mitchell’s potential playing time could be affected by incoming big men Trayvon Reed and Michal Cekovsky as well. Rising sophomore Damonte Dodd is also believed to be poised to get more playing time in 2014-2015.

While Turgeon’s texts to the area news outlets appear to show the players in question will not be departing, the Post stated Turgeon had texted a similar response when rumors of Faust’s transfer began to swirl.

Comments on Facebook

2 Comments For This Post

  1. Paul in Hawaii Says:

    Before coming to Maryland, Turgeon’s teams had the rep from what I’ve read, as hard working, defensive-minded teams with good basketball IQ. It’s kind of been the polar opposite since he’s been at Maryland, for the most part. My question(s) for you is; do you think Turgeon recruited higher ranked players after he got here, because he wanted to make a splash, but these weren’t necessarily his typical kind of players? The bad chemistry on the court (at least it looks that way from the stands), makes it look like they just recruited players without thought to character or how they fit in the team concept.

    I’ve said that some of the players needed to move on, such as Faust, but to potentially have a mass defection of 5 players, for a 3rd year coach, is a little disturbing. You usually only see something like this when a new coach takes over.

    Then you also have the potential of him having to replace all 3 main assistants within a year, too.

  2. justafan Says:

    Turgeon denies! Did he lie?

Leave a Reply