It’s a Happy Wednesday for me for a few reasons….
1-Obviously, Maryland was very impressive last night.
2-I did NOT open the email my buddy sent me yesterday with the subject “WTF Greg Oden?!?!”
3-AND…..I’m not a NFL GM interested in Terrence Cody from Alabama………..
The Andre Smith workout plan is clearly still effective in Tuscaloosa. Let’s see what everyone has to say….
1. WNST.net’s Glenn Clark says Ed Reed has told others he intends to return
I explained everything I know there in the blog. I reported via Twitter (@WNST) that a source VERY close to Ed told me last week Ed intended to return to the Ravens. There are still some reasons why Ed hasn’t made an announcement-mostly because he has to continue to monitor his health. Saying Ed “wants” to come back and saying he IS coming back are clearly two very different things.
2. Carroll County Times’ Aaron Wilson says Jim Zorn, Al Saunders candidates to replace Hue Jackson as Ravens QB Coach
Is this just an excuse for me to add another awesome podium pose from Jim Zorn? You better believe it….
Saunders is the easy choice because obviously he was working with John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron just last season. That being said, Jim Zorn has a VERY solid record as a QB coach in the NFL-and I think Matt Hasselbeck would be a solid mold for Zorn to use in trying to work hand in hand with Joe Flacco.
3. The Sun’s Ron Fritz says Dean Pees believes coming to Ravens ‘privilege and honor’
The other piece of news here is that Vic Fangio WILL be leaving the team, with an announcement about his future coming “soon”-which tends to make me think he may be retiring.
Best of luck to Dean Pees. He inherits a ton of talent-even beyond Ray Lewis-with Jarret Johnson and Dannell Ellerbe being other important parts of the future of the team. I expect Pees will have success here quickly.
4. Ravens Official Site’s Mike Duffy says Samari Rolle, Fabian Washington, Adam Terry, Lardarius Webb, Brendon Ayanbadejo amongst 13 players trying to bounce back from IR
This is a group that will have a profound impact on the 2010 Baltimore Ravens. Lardarius Webb might have been penciled in to be a starter on the team, but his health (as well as the health of guys like Samari Rolle and Fabian Washington) will be part of what shapes CB depth next season. Adam Terry is interesting as well-as the Ravens may have to make a decision on Jared Gaither’s longterm future with the team, and Adam Terry’s health will have to be considered in that decision.
5. WNST.net’s Luke Jones says Greivis Vasquez, Landon Milbourne each scored 16 as Terps blew out Miami
As I tweeted last night, did Longwood get confused and show up for a second straight week wearing Miami uniforms?
Also, you know a team is defeated when Greivis Vasquez goes into his “shimmy” in front of their bench and the players (and coach Frank Haith) just really don’t seem to care.
You know the shimmy. It isn’t this one (I couldn’t find video of the one last night), but it looks a lot like this…
6. Washington Post’s Steve Yanda says Terps alone in first place in ACC after win over Hurricanes
Virginia will have a chance to move back into a 1st place tie when they play Virginia Tech Thursday night.
It really doesn’t mean much to be in first place right now, but it does mean something to be 4-1. As we’ve mentioned a couple times this week on “The Comcast Morning Show”, Gary Williams’ team needs to only go 6-5 the rest of the way in conference play to finish 10-6, which we all believe will clinch them another trip to the NCAA Tournament.
7. Towson Official Site previews Tigers’ trip to VCU tonight
I’ll make this quick. Pat Kennedy’s ballclub needs another CAA win. I don’t think it’s coming tonight. But I do think they’ll manage to cover the 18.5.
8. UMBC Official Site previews Retrievers’ tussle with Binghamton tonight at RAC Arena
I’ll make this quick as quick as well. Randy Monroe’s ballclub needs their first America East win. I think there’s a minimal chance it could come tonight. It’s a better chance than Towson tonight anyway.
9. Inside MD Sports’ Seth Hoffman says Maryland finishing deal to play Notre Dame at FedEx Field in 2011
Of course, it might be a BIT embarrassing when there are more Irish fans at the game than there are Terrapins fans.
(Edit from GMC: For the record, I was unable to get further information on these negotiations from my guys in College Park. But they have told me in the past that they’d like to play a game every other year in Baltimore and the District of Columbia.)
10. D1scourse’s Patrick Stevens says former Terrapins FB Cory Jackson added to Senior Bowl roster
This is a great chance for Cory Jackson to make an impact before the NFL Draft. He may have missed the first couple of chances to practice in front of scouts and the NFL Network cameras, but there is still plenty going on in Mobile this week for him to impress.
11. The AP’s David Ginsburg says Tejada’s Orioles introduction delayed by humanitarian trip to Haiti
Which is VERY commendable.
Nothing to beat up here. God bless Miguel Tejada for taking it upon himself to go to Haiti and do the right thing.
12. MLB.com’s Spencer Fordin says Tejada never sold home in Charm City even after being traded to Houston
And finally, I leave you with this.
The best part about Tuesday was that Dave Matthews Band introduced their summer touring plans-including a stop at Nationals Park on July 23rd with Zac Brown Band. I will be there. Hoping for this….
Talk to you later today.
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983……