Towson Tops Mount St. Mary’s in Home Opener

March 03, 2012 | WNST Staff

TOWSON, Md. – Sophomore Thomas DeNapoli (Lynbrook H.S./East Rockaway, N.Y.) matched his career high by scoring three goals in a game for the second time this season as Towson University (2-2) used a three-goal run in the final 5:13 to post a 10-8 come-from-behind victory over Mount St. Mary’s (1-2) in the Tigers’ home opener at Johnny Unitas® Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

In a game that was tied five times and had five lead changes, the Mountaineers scored four straight goals in the second half to take an 8-7 lead with 9:03 remaining. Junior Andrew Scalley(Archbishop Spalding H.S./Arnold, Md.) gave The Mount its lead when he scored an unassisted goal, his second goal of the game. With 7:33 remaining, The Mount had a great chance to extend its lead when the Tiger bench was penalized for a conduct foul. However, the Tigers were able to kill off that penalty, setting up the tying goal.

With 5:13 left in regulation, senior Matt Lamon (St. Mary’s H.S./Annapolis, Md.) scored off a pass from freshman Robby Zoppo (Calvert Hall College H.S./Baltimore, Md.) to tie the game at 8-8, the fifth tie of the game. It was Lamon’s second goal of the game. He did not score in the Tigers’ first three contests.

After junior Ian Mills (Chantilly H.S./Centreville, Va.) won the ensuing faceoff, junior Matt Hughes(Central Bucks East H.S./Doylestown, Pa.) came from behind the cage and scored an unassisted goal with 4:00 remaining, giving the Tigers a 9-8 advantage. After the Tigers took the lead, Mills won another faceoff and that set up DeNapoli’s third goal, which came on a drive from the right side with 2:56 remaining.

Although the Mountaineers won the next faceoff, they quickly turned it over and the Tigers were able to run out the clock, posting their seventh victory in eight all-time meetings with The Mount.

Led by senior Bryant Schmidt (St. Mary’s Ryken H.S./Great Mills, Md.), who scored four goals, the Mountaineers outshot the Tigers, 34-24. However, Tiger goalkeepers Travis Love (Winters Mill H.S./Westminster, Md.) and Andrew Wascavage (St. Mary’s Ryken H.S./Drayden, Md.) combined to make 12 saves. Love had seven saves while playing the first half while Wascavage had five saves in the second half.

The Mountaineers, who upset two-time defending Colonial Athletic Association champion Delaware last week, took an early 1-0 lead just 1:42 into the game when Schmidt scored his first goal of the game.

The Tigers responded by scoring three consecutive goals to take a 3-1 lead in the second quarter. After senior Sean Maguire (Calvert Hall College H.S./Lutherville, Md.) scored the tying goal on an extra man opportunity, Lamon’s first goal of the season gave the Tigers a 2-1 lead with 5:09 left in the opening period. With 12:36 left in the second quarter, DeNapoli put the Tigers up by 3-1 when he scored an extra man goal.

But, the Mountaineers erupted for three goals in a period of 1:19 to take a 4-3 lead with 10:05 remaining in the first half. With 11:24 left in the half, Bryant Schmidt’s extra man goal cut the deficit to 3-2. His twin brother, Brett Schmidt (St. Mary’s Ryken H.S./Great Mills, Md.), tied the game at 3-3 with 10:30 left when he scored off a pass from Scalley.

Just 25 seconds later, Scalley’s unassisted goal gave The Mount a 4-3 lead.

With 6:30 remaining in the half, DeNapoli tied the game at 4-4 with an unassisted goal before sophomore Andrew Hodgson (West Islip H.S./West Islip, N.Y.) scored an unassisted goal with 2:50 left to give the Tigers a 5-4 advantage.

The Tigers opened the second half with a 2-0 run to take a 7-4 lead with 10:12 remaining in the third quarter. Maguire’s second goal of the game made it 6-4 with 11:20 left in the quarter. An unassisted goal by senior Michael Brashears (Calvert Hall College H.S./Timonium, Md.) with 10:12 left upped the lead to 7-4.

Just when it appeared that the Tigers were about to break the game open, they went through a scoring drought of nearly 20 minutes. By the time Lamon ended the drought with 5:13 left in the game, the Mountaineers had taken a lead.

Trailing by 7-4 in the third quarter, the Mountaineers went on a four-goal run to grab a lead. Bryant Schmidt scored twice in the third quarter and Brett Schmidt had one goal to tie the game at 7-7 after three quarters.

When Scalley scored an unassisted goal with 9:03 left in the game, The Mount owned its final lead.

Bryant Schmidt led The Mount with four goals while Brett Schmidt and Scalley each had a pair of goals. Daniel Stranix had three assists for The Mount.

DeNapoli paced the Tigers with three goals while Lamon added two goals and an assist. Maguire had two goals while Hughes chipped in with a goal and an assist.

The Tigers, who snapped a two-game losing streak, return to action on Tuesday, March 13 when they host Navy at 7:30 p.m.

Men’s College Lacrosse: Towson 10, Mount St. Mary’s 8
Mount St. Mary’s (1-2)  1-3-3-1 / 8
Towson (2-2)  2-3-2-3 / 10

Goals: MSM – Bryant Schmidt 4, Brett Schmidt 2, Andrew Scalley 2; TOW – Thomas DeNapoli 3, Matt Lamon 2, Sean Maguire 2, Matt Hughes 1, Andrew Hodgson 1, Michael Brashears 1.Assists: MSM – Daniel Stranix 3, Anthony Golden 1, Andrew Scalley 1; TOW – Matt Hughes 1, Matt Lamon 1, Brian Prendergast 1, Robby Zoppo 1. Saves: MSM – Chris Klaiber 7 (60:00, 10 goals allowed); TOW – Travis Love 7 (30:00, 4 goals allowed); Andrew Wascavage 5 (30:00, 4 goals allowed). Shots: MSM – 34; TOW – 24. Extra-Man Opportunities: MSM – 1 for 3; TOW – 2 for 3. Attendance: 1,128.