Day two of our “Best of Baltimore” week featured this morning’s list of “The Top 10 Most Under-Rated Contributors To Baltimore Sports Over The Last 20 Years.”
Please note, as I mentioned today, that I decided not to enter into the world of amateur athletics when compiling this list. Amateur athletics in Baltimore is indeed alive and well, but for purposes of today’s list I focused only on people involved in the “pro game”.
The list actually became the Top 11, because Leo from Towson called in and made a very compelling
argument for swimming coach Murray Stephens, the co-founder of the North Baltimore Aquatic Club, so
here is the Top 11.
11. Murray Stephens, NABC
10. Jim Palmer, Baseball TV analyst in Baltimore
9. Keith Mills, WJZ-TV, WMAR-TV, WBAL Radio
8. Pam Shriver, Tennis champion
7. John Moag, former head of the Maryland Stadium Authority
6. Nestor Aparicio, WNST Radio
5. Ed Hale, Owner – Baltimore Blast
4. Matt Stover, PK – Baltimore Ravens
3. “The Big Three” corporate sponsors in Baltimore – Winner Distributing (John Daue), Bond Distributing (Bob Footlick, Bob Pinkner) and Toyota (Pivec Family)
2. Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV
1. Elrod Hendricks, Baltimore baseball legend and goodwill ambassador
Feel free to chime in with your thoughts by e-mailing me at: email@example.com.
Thursday’s list is the top 12 things every Baltimore sports fan should do at least once in his or her life. And all 12 of these take place IN Baltimore.
Still battling the flu, but feeling better than yesterday…barely.
How can Melinda Doolittle NOT win American Idol?