Binghamton’s Reed, UNH’s Pelcher, UMBC’s Elliott Earn America East Men’s Basketball Weekly Accolades
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A trio of players who led their teams to wins last week with big-time performances are America East’s men’s basketball weekly award winners for the second week of the season.
Co-Player of the Week
Jordan Reed, So., Guard, Binghamton
- Averaged 19.0 points, 14.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals in two games last week.
- Had 25 points and 14 rebounds in a comeback win over Cornell Wednesday.
- Scored 15 of those points in the second half to help Binghamton complete a 19-point comeback.
- Recorded his second straight double-double (13 points, 14 rebounds) in loss to Navy Saturday.
Co-Player of the Week
Chris Pelcher, Sr., Forward, New Hampshire
- Averaged 17.0 points, 14.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks while shooting 60 percent from the field in a pair of games last week.
- His 14-point, 16-rebound, four-block performance led UNH to a win at Atlantic 10 member Duquesne on Wednesday.
- He then contributed 20 points, 15 boards and three blocks in a loss to NJIT Sunday.
Rookie of the Week
Rodney Elliott, Fr., Guard, UMBC
- Stuffed the stat sheet last week, averaging 17.7 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.0 steals in three games last week.
- Scored 24 of his 26 points after halftime to lead UMBC back from 23 down in a win over Mount St. Mary’s Sunday.
Around the League
- America East teams have 14 wins on the season with six of those coming against Atlantic 10, CAA and MAAC programs.
- Stony Brook is 3-1 with wins over Marist, Haverford and reigning CAA regular-season champion Northeastern.
- New Hampshire won at Atlantic 10-member Duquesne, 84-81, Wednesday.
- Binghamton and UMBC each had amazing comeback wins last week.
- The Bearcats came back from 19 down in the second half, scoring on 19-straight possessions at one points, to beat Cornell, 89-79, Wednesday.
- The Retrievers were down 23 to Mount St. Mary’s in the second half Sunday but stormed back for a 90-84 overtime win.
- Hartford will play in ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon at Florida Gulf Coast Tuesday at 7 p.m. in front of a national television audience on ESPN2.
2013-14 Men’s Basketball Weekly Awards
Nov. 11 – Player of the Week: Anthony Jackson, Stony Brook
Rookie of the Week: Nick Madray, Binghamton
Nov. 18 – Player of the Week: Jordan Reed, Binghamton/Chris Pelcher, UNH
Player of the Week: Rodney Elliott, UMBC