BALTIMORE – On Monday, Stony Brook will try to accomplish something it’s never done – win its first five America East games. The Seawolves are 4-0 for the third straight season and now they’ll go for five Monday afternoon against UMBC at RAC Arena. The game will be streamed live on ESPN3 with Eric Frede and Frank Sullivan.
The Seawolves have won 10 straight games in conference.
Stony Brook Seawolves (12-6, 4-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 137-150
Record at SBU: 132-132
UMBC Retrievers (5-13, 1-4 America East)
Head Coach: Aki Thomas, second season
Overall Record: 13-36
Record at UMBC: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook returns to the court less than 48 hours after its last game as its plays at UMBC.
- This is the 24th all-time meeting, and the Seawolves lead the all-time series 15-8. They are 6-4 at the RAC and have won their last four appearances here. Stony Brook has won 10 straight meetings.
- This is a matchup of the top two offensive rebounding teams in the conference (UMBC – 12.7/game, SB – 11.8/game).
- Stony Brook is in a tie with Vermont for first place (4-0) through the first quarter of the conference schedule.
- Redshirt freshman Ahmad Walker is coming off his best performance of the year, scoring 18 points, grabbing seven rebounds and dishing three assists vs. UMass Lowell.
- Picked to finish sixth in America East, the Retrievers are currently tied for eighth with Maine at 1-4 and were a basket away from a second victory.
- UMBC’s offense has been strong all season, but has dipped in the last two games, scoring just 42 at New Hampshire and 47 at home vs. Vermont. Prior to those two games, UMBC was averaging 69.8 points a game.
- UMBC has played five overtime games this season, including four straight games back in November. The team is 2-3 when going to OT this season.
- Freshman Rodney Elliott has carried UMBC by averaging 13.8 points and 3.3 assists while shooting 45.7% from the field.
- Former All-America East forward Chase Plummer is averaging 10.4 points and 5.8 rebounds off the bench.
If Stony Brook Wins…
- Stony Brook will improve to 5-0 in America East for the first time ever.
- The Seawolves will extend their conference winning streak to 11 straight games, dating back to Feb. 2013.
- Stony Brook will extend their winning streak over UMBC to 11 games.