From training camp : Afternoon practice and injury update

August 01, 2007 | WNST Staff

The Ravens had a very interesting afternoon.
We will start with the injury front. Antwan Barnes went down during this afternoon’s practice with an apparent right leg/ankle injury. Barnes was placed on a cart, then had his ankle wrapped in ace and rode a cart off the field up to the team locker room. The Ravens were practicing on the McDaniel College stadium this afternoon. While at this time the seriousness of Barnes’s injury is not known, if he is out for any amount of time, the Ravens will have to figure out someone else with Dan Cody currently on the shelf with a knee injury.
Ben Grubbs was at practice this afternoon, but did not participate in any team drills. Ben missed the morning session with a sprained right knee. This afternoon he was at practice with a knee brace on his right knee. Ben just walked into the team hotel with his right knee wrapped in ice.
Quinn Sypniewski was out for both the morning and afternoon practice with stomach flu. I saw Quinn in the lobby of the team hotel, and he looks like he has had a long rough day. He had a rather large bottle of Gatorade in hand when he walked past. He did say that he was feeling better.
Kelly Gregg also did not practice this afternoon after missing the end of yesterday’s morning session and both practices this morning with a right thigh bruise. Kelly is currently wearing a protective sleeve on his right leg.
Other notes from this afternoon:
-Jared Gaither took snaps with the 1st team offense at tackle.
-Ed Reed picked off a Steve McNair pass that was intended for Mark Clayton
-Willis McGahee lined up in the slot on offense
-Mark Clayton beat Ed Reed on a route and got a perfectly thrown ball from Steve McNair to only watch the ball drop through his hands.
-Yamon Figurs beat Ed Reed down the middle of a field and got a perfectly thrown ball from Kyle Boller. Kyle had to watch the ball fall just beyond the reach of Yamon.
The Ravens will take to the field a little bit later tomorrow morning when they report to the field at 9:30 a.m., then again at 3 p.m. for a special teams practice.
INJURY UPDATE: Antwan Barnes was walking around the team hotel after practice with his right ankle taped. Antwan was walking on his own power.