UMBC LAX prevails in 4-2 final over Monmouth

February 21, 2015 | WNST Staff


West Long Branch, N.J. – UMBC sophomore midfielder Dylan McDermott (Westminster, Md./South Carroll) scored twice in the final six minutes of play, as the Retrievers edged Monmouth, 4-2, in frosty, blustery conditions at Monmouth Stadium.

Junior attackman Nate Lewnes (Arnold, Md./St. Mary’s) added the other two Retriever scores, while red-shirt sophomore netminder Connor Gordon (Bourne, Mass./Tabor Academy) stopped eight of the ten Monmouth shots on goal.

The Retrievers posted their first victory of the season, after two losses to nationally-ranked squads. The contest was the season opener for the Hawks.

The contest was the lowest scoring game in UMBC lacrosse history. The six goals scored by both squads was the fewest since a nine goals were recorded in a 5-4 UMBC loss at Binghamton in 2004.

With the contest knotted at 2-all late in the fourth quarter, McDermott cashed in after Gordon made a save with 6:32 remaining. The Retrievers cleared successfully and McDermott recorded his second goal of the season, an unassisted tally with 5:28 remaining.

Monmouth would get the ensuing draw, but the Retriever defense blocked a shot and cleared the ball. After a time out, Lewnes took a shot, which was saved, but the Retrievers maintained possession and McDermott tallied again with 1:28 remaining.

The hosts were unable to get off a shot until 12 seconds remained in the game and Gordon made the game’s final save with just one second remaining.

UMBC never trailed in the contest. After a scoreless first quarter, Lewnes scored the game’s first goal at the 6:14 mark of the second quarter. The Retrievers took advantage of an MU turnover and senior Kevin McDonough (Oakdale, N.Y.) pushed the ball up the field to Lewnes, who broke the ice.

UMBC led, 1-0, at the half, the lowest scoring half of lacrosse in program history.

Monmouth tied the game on a man-up goal 5:14 into the third quarter, but Lewnes completed a three-shot sequence for UMBC as Max Maxwell drew on assist at the 9:21 mark of the stanza.

The Hawks tied the score at 2-all 1:55 into the final quarter before McDermott recorded his first career two-goal effort.

Both teams attempted 24 shots in the contest, and MU goalkeeper Garrett Conaway posted ten stops.

UMBC won six of 11 draws in the game, including three of four in the fourth quarter.

UMBC has not allowed as few as two goals in a game since defeating Drexel, 20-2, in 1992.

The Retrievers conclude the season-opening four-game road swing at Richmond on Feb. 28.