Hopkins erases five-goal deficit to rally past Georgetown in overtime

May 13, 2018 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE, MD – Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse senior attackman Shack Stanwick was still 10 years away from being born the last time it happened and Blue Jay head coach Dave Pietramala hadn’t yet enrolled at Hopkins when it did. Larry Quinn, who now serves as Hopkins’ volunteer assistant coach? He was the Blue Jays’ starting goalie that day, which for the record was May 19, 1985.

The “it” was the last time Johns Hopkins erased a five-goal deficit to win an NCAA Tournament game. After Stanwick’s game-winner with 29 seconds left in overtime against Georgetown on Sunday evening at Homewood Field, the new last time is now May 13, 2018.

Stanwick got inside his defender on the wing, dodged hard to the goal and stuck one past Hoya goalie Nick Marrocco to complete the comeback and give the Blue Jays a 10-9 win. With the victory, Hopkins advances to next week’s NCAA Quarterfinal round, where the Blue Jays will face fourth-seeded Duke.

Stanwick’s goal capped a rally that was fueled by the hot shooting of junior Kyle Marr, who scored five goals – five consecutive Blue Jay goals in the fourth quarter.

Hopkins (12-4) trailed 8-3 late in the third period before Joel Tinney scored an extra-man goal with 95 seconds left in the quarter to make it 8-4 entering the final period.

Marr needed 57 seconds of the final frame to make it a three-goal game and added this second of the game just under 90 seconds later to make it 8-5.

Miscommunication on the ensuing faceoff sent Georgetown’s Robert Clark in alone on Blue Jay goalie Brock Turnbaugh and Clark stuck his third goal of the game to give the Hoyas a 9-6 lead with 12:13 to play.

That score held for nearly five minutes before Marr fired home an extra-man goal off a feed from Tinney and then added his fourth and fifth goals of the game – both off set plays and both assisted by Stanwick – in a span of just over two minutes to draw the Blue Jays even for the first time since early in the second quarter.

The Hoyas (12-5) won the ensuing faceoff, but a shot that missed the cage with the shot clock on was backed up by the Blue Jays and Hopkins cleared and set up for potential game-winner with 44.4 seconds remaining in regulation.

Tinney ripped one wide from the wing off a split dodge and Stanwick’s last-second attempt didn’t go to send the game to extra time.

Georgetown won the opening possession of overtime, but junior Danny Jones forced a Hoya turnover and the Blue Jays cleared and called timeout with 1:15 on the clock; 46 seconds later Stanwick had scored the game-winner on his last career play on Homewood Field.

The late-game rally didn’t look like it would needed early on as Hopkins scored three times in the first 9:03 to grab a quick 3-0 lead. Tinney scored twice during the opening surge and fellow senior Patrick Fraser capped the spree.

By the time Tinney scored his extra-man goal late in the third quarter, the Hoyas had scored eight straight and kept the Blue Jays off the board for more than 34 minutes.

It took the Hoyas just over two minutes to draw even by the end of the first quarter as Lucas Wittenberg scored twice and Jake Carraway added one.

When Craig Berge scooped up a loose ball and fired one home from 10 yards out early in the second quarter, the Hoyas had a lead that they wouldn’t relinquish until overtime.

Berge would have a hand in all three Hoya goals in the second quarter as he scored the first and assisted on the next two and then opened the scoring at the 9:17 mark of the third quarter when he blew one home from the wing to make it 7-3.

Clark scored the second of his three goals 78 seconds later to give the Hoyas the five-goal lead at 8-3. That lead held for more than six minutes before Tinney ended Hopkins’ drought and jump-started the Marr-fueled rally that sent the historians back to 1985.

Marr’s five goals were one shy of his career high and matched the JHU record for most in an NCAA Tournament first round game; he added two assists for seven points, which is tied for the second-highest total of his career. Stanwick (1g, 4a) and Tinney (3g, 1a) combined for nine points and the Blue Jays held a 39-20 advantage in shots, including a 24-7 margin after halftime.

Berge led Georgetown with six points on two goals and four assists, while Clark added three goals. Marrocco posted 11 saves in goal for the Hoyas, who also got a 15-of-23 performance at the X from Peter Tagliaferri.

Notes: The Johns Hopkins-Duke NCAA Quarterfinal game will be played at Navy on Sunday, May 20 (2:30 pm) • JHU is now 3-0 all-time against Georgetown with two of the three wins in the NCAA Tournament • Hopkins improved to 45-5 all-time at Homewood Field in NCAA Tournament games • One-third of JHU’s 12 wins this season have come on the strength of comebacks from at least three-goal deficits (Delaware, Virginia, Rutgers, Georgetown) • Stanwick jumped from 11th to ninth on JHU’s career points list (215).