Hopkins falls to Duke 14-9 in NCAA quarterfinals

May 20, 2018 | WNST Staff


ANNAPOLIS, MD — Duke’s Nakeie Montgomery scored back-to-back goals in a span of 60 seconds late in the fourth quarter to jump-start a 5-1 game-ending run for the Blue Devils, who went on to knock off Johns Hopkins, 14-9, in the NCAA Quarterfinals at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Sunday afternoon.

The Blue Devils (15-3) advance to the national semifinals, where they will take on Maryland. Johns Hopkins ends the season at 12-5.

Johns Hopkins trailed 9-5 at the end of the third quarter after Duke scored twice in the final 16 seconds, but as they have all season, the Blue Jays rallied.

A 12-yard laser on extra-man from senior Patrick Fraser just under three minutes into the final period ignited a three-goal run for Johns Hopkins, which was within 9-7 two minutes after Fraser’s goal on a Chris Hubler tally in transition and then within one at 9-8 three minutes later when junior Kyle Marr scored in tight off a failed Duke clear.

Less than a minute later, Montgomery isolated on the wing and scored on the run and then polished off the same play 60 seconds later to ignite the game-ending spree for the Devils, who used the two Montgomery goals to turn the 9-8 lead into an 11-8 margin and then a Greg Pelton goal off the faceoff following Montgomery’s second to go up 12-8.

Marr temporarily halted the run with his second of the game with 3:37 to play, but Justin Guterding and Joe Robertson struck for late goals to account for the 14-9 final score.

Duke led 7-3 at the half as the Blue Devils built a 4-1 lead at the end of the first quarter and answered with two goals to end the half after the Blue Jays had cut the deficit to 5-3 midway through the second quarter.

The Devils bookended Hopkins’ lone first quarter goal with two strikes on both end. Robertson and Joey Manown scored back-to-back goals in the first 3:18 to give Duke an early 2-0 lead before the Blue Jays got on the board midway through the period on an 11-yard step-down from sophomore Cole Williams made it 2-1.

That margin held until the final 90 seconds of the first quarter when Guterding scored off a rebound with 1:29 on the clock and Manown raced to the slot and scored in tight with just 15.3 seconds remaining in the opening 15 minutes.

Hopkins wrapped an extra-man goal from junior Jake Fox and a quick-stick goal from senior Brinton Valis around a John Prendergrast goal in the first eight minutes of the second quarter to pull within 5-3, but Brian Smyth scored five seconds after Valis and Reilly Walsh elevated over a defender from the wing and scored with the timer on 90 second later to account for the 7-3 halftime lead for the Blue Devils.

Hopkins opened the second half with a two-man advantage, but Duke goalie Danny Fowler stuffed Fox in tight and the Devils held the 7-3 lead until late in the third quarter.

A Connor DeSimone extra-man goal with just under five minutes remaining ended a scoring drought of more than 18 minutes for the Blue Jays, who then got with 7-5 when Williams scooped up a loose ball in front and beat Fowler from five yards out with 1:55 on the third quarter clock.

The Blue Jays were less than 30 seconds away from entering the fourth quarter down just two before Guterding isolated from behind the goal and rolled back to his left hand to score from five yards out to make it 8-5 with 16 seconds left in the third. Brad Smith then beat the third-quarter clock off a feed from Guterding to give Duke the 9-5 lead. Prior to the two goals in the final 16 seconds, Duke had gone more than 20 minutes without scoring.

Eight minutes and three Blue Jay goals later the Blue Jays were within 9-8, but a turnover after coming up with the ground ball on the faceoff after Marr’s goal led to the first of Montgomery’s two strikes that fueled the game-ending run for the Blue Devils.

Marr (2g, 1a), Williams (2g), Stanwick (2a), Fraser (1g, 1a), Hubler (1g, 1a) and Fox (1g, 1a) all recorded multi-point games for Johns Hopkins.

Guterding led Duke with three goals and two assists and nine different players scored for the Devils, who also got an 18-of-25 performance at the X from Brian Smyth.