Loyola comes up short in 8-5 NCAA quarterfinal loss to Yale

May 19, 2018 | WNST Staff


HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Jacob Stover made a career-high 19 saves for the sixth-seeded Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team in the NCAA Quarterfinals, but third-seeded Yale University held the Greyhounds to 12 second-half shots in an 8-5 victory at James M. Shuart Stadium.

The Bulldogs (15-3 overall) built a 6-4 halftime lead and held Loyola (13-4) without a goal in the third quarter, going up three entering the final period.

John Duffy converted a 15-yard bouncer for a goal with 4:15 to go in regulation to draw the Greyhounds within a pair, but Yale added a goal with 89 seconds left and held on for the victory.

Yale squeezed off 23 shots in the third and fourth quarters, but Stover posted 11 of his saves in those frames, keeping the Greyhounds close.

Stover’s 19 saves eclipse his previous high of 16 set on two occasions, first against Duke University in the 2016 NCAA First Round and later at Towson University in March 2017.

The Bulldogs put two quick goals on the board as Ben Reeves caught a Jackson Morrill feed just off the right pipe to tally a goal 39 seconds into the game, and Reeves added a second less than two minutes later. He grabbed a ground ball off his own missed shot and scored at 12:49, giving Yale a 2-0 lead.

Pat Spencer responded for Loyola with 11:34 to go in the first, dodging from `X’ to get his hands free for a right-handed high-to-high shot from inside seven yards.

After a Foster Huggins caused turnover gave the Greyhounds the ball, and Loyola settled into an offensive possession, Alex McGovern ran left-to-right across the top of the box to fire low for a goal at 9:13, knotting the game at 2-2.

Brian Tevlin pushed the Bulldogs back in front by a goal, scoring or a Morrill assist at 7:55 in the first, but Spencer fed P.J. Brown for a sidearm goal with 3:30 to go in the frame, tying the score again.

Yale, however, tallied a pair of goals to end the first quarter, taking the lead for good on a John Daniggelis goal with 1:50 on the clock and extending its advantage to 5-3 when Jack Tigh scored 30.4 before the end of the first.

The Bulldogs went up 6-3 on a Matt Gaudet one-timer on the right side with 11:02 on the second-quarter clock, but Loyola would hold them scoreless for the rest of the stanza.

Spencer scored unassisted at 7:58, getting Loyola back to within two, 6-4, a score that would hold going into halftime. The tally was the 100th of his career, making him the 10th player in school history to reach the plateau.

After Spencer’s goal, Stover made four saves for the Greyhounds, three coming on shots inside of eight yards.

Stover then had two saves in the first six minutes of the third quarter, but Daniggelis came from behind the cage, faked high and scored low with 7:04 to go in the quarter, giving Yale a 7-4 lead.

Stover again came up with big saves to start the fourth, making six stops and grabbing a ground ball out of the air on a wide Yale shot in the quarter’s first 10 minutes, but the Bulldogs forced three failed Loyola clears to keep the Greyhounds off the scoreboard before Duffy’s goal.

Spencer finished with two goals and one assist, increasing his single-season Loyola points record to 94.

Loyola had a 29-26 advantage in ground balls, led by Spencer’s five. Jay Drapeau and Foster Huggins each had four, while Brian Begley and Stover grabbed three each.