Loyola holds Hopkins to one second-half goal in 12-5 win

February 17, 2018 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE – Loyola University Maryland outscored Johns Hopkins University 7-1 in the second half Saturday, and the 14th-ranked Greyhounds turned a 5-4 halftime lead into a 12-5 victory over the ninth-ranked Blue Jays at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Loyola went up 5-3 on a Pat Spencer extra-man goal with 6:00 left in the first half, but Johns Hopkins (1-1) tallied the half’s last two goals to get within one when Shack Stanwick scored with 52.4 seconds left before the break.

The Greyhounds gained possession to start the third quarter off a Johns Hopkins faceoff violation, and after drawing a 30-second clock warning 80 seconds later, Aidan Olmstead split his defender from the right side and scored his first collegiate goal at 13:28, launching the Greyhounds’ run.

John Duffy scored off a Spencer assist at 9:53, and Brian Begley tallied the first of his two goals at 8:11, pushing Loyola in front by four, 8-4.

Both teams had offensive opportunities, as well as extra-man chances, over the next five minutes, but Loyola’s man-down defense killed a penalty with a Johns Hopkins penalty, and Begley picked up the ground ball to possess for the Greyhounds.

Begley and Duffy played a two-man game on the left side, and Begley threw to Duffy for an eight-yard look that he converted to push the advantage to five. The Blue Jays got back within four, however, just 11 seconds later as Jared Reinson took a Hunter Moreland pass off the faceoff to score at 1:50.

That goal, however, would be Johns Hopkins’ only of the second half. Jacob Stover made seven of his 12 saves in the second half, including four in the final quarter.

Loyola went on extra-man to start the fourth quarter after Johns Hopkins was offsides at the end of the third, and Logan Devereaux fired a hard shot that was saved by the Blue Jays’ Brock Turnbaugh. The rebound caromed directly to Jay Drapeau on the left side of the crease where he picked it up, firing it in for his third goal of the afternoon.

Johns Hopkins had a good look at the goal minutes later, but Jacob Stover saved a Joel Tinney shot at 12:18, and the Greyhounds cleared to their offensive end.

After a Zac Davliakos transition shot went off the post, Loyola restarted and Spencer took the ball behind the cage. He drew space from his defender with a change-of-direction and skipped a pass over the defense to Alex McGovern who scored on a sidearm shot with 11:35 left, giving the Greyhounds an 11-5 cushion.

Just over three minutes later, Ryder Harkins caused a turnover, and Begley cleared himself to score his second with 8:26 left for the final margin of victory.

Begley finished with two goals and two assists, matching Spencer for game-high honors with a goal and three assists. Drapeau scored a game-best three times, while Duffy and McGovern each had two goals.

Loyola forced 22 Johns Hopkins turnovers, 13 that were caused by the Greyhounds. Foster Huggins caused seven turnovers, good for second-most in school single-game history; Harkins and Matt Higgins each had two caused turnovers.

Loyola got on the board first when Drapeau shoveled a reverse and underhand shot from three yards out after Spencer threw him a pass from the left point. Johns Hopkins came back to even the game at 1-1 with 7:40 left in the first when Brinton Valis scored low-to-low off a Cole Williams feed.

Drapeau scored his second of the first quarter with 3:49 left in the stanza, rolling the crease from left-to-right and sneaking a low shot between Turnbaugh’s leg and the post.

Begley then caused a turnover on the Johns Hopkins side of the field, and Jared Mintzlaff picked up the ground ball, racing into the box to score at 2:55.

After the first quarter ended with Loyola in front, 3-1, Johns Hopkins scored off the second’s opening faceoff. Moreland took it himself after getting the ground ball to score at 14:52.

McGovern made it 4-2 Loyola when he dodged down the left alley past a defender and scored at 12:43 in the first. The Greyhounds moved their lead to three more than six minutes later as they took advantage of a Johns Hopkins offsides call while clearing. Begley picked up the ball, restarted and fed Spencer cutting to the crease for a score at 6:00.

The Blue Jays responded with an Alex Concannon goal at 3:37, and Stanwick’s score with just under a minute to play in the half.

Loyola opens Patriot League play with its next game, hosting Lafayette College on Saturday, February 24, for a 12 p.m. contest at Ridley Athletic Complex.