Loyola uses 16-2 run to blow out Boston U

April 14, 2018 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE – Boston University scored two goals 15 seconds apart with under five minutes to play in Saturday’s second quarter, closing to within 7-6, but Loyola University Maryland reeled off five-straight goals as part of a larger 16-2 run to defeat the Terriers, 23-9 in Patriot League play at Ridley Athletic Complex.

The victory improved Loyola’s record to 9-3 overall and 6-1 in the conference. With a win on Friday night against the U.S. Military Academy, the Greyhounds will host the Patriot League Championships as the top seed. Loyola hosts the Black Knights in a 7 p.m. faceoff at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Pat Spencer logged nine points against Boston university, scoring three times and assisting on six goals, while Aidan Olmstead tied his career-highs with four goals and six total points. John Duffy matched his career-high with three goals, while Jay Drapeau and Kevin Lindley each had two goals and an assist. P.J. Brown scored a career-best three points with a goal and two assists.

With his nine points, Spencer moved into second-place in career points in the Patriot League with 246. He trails only Bucknell University’s Chris Cara (2002-05) who has 249.

Loyola jumped out to a 3-0 lead as Lindley, Duffy and Drapeau scored in the first four minutes of the game before Jack Wilson put the Terriers (6-7, 2-5) on the board with a goal at 10:30.

Olmstead and Chris Gray traded goals for the teams nine seconds apart before Brown fed Peter Swindell at the top of the left side, and Swindell stepped down for a 15-yard goal at 3:35. Lindley then added his second of the quarter off a Spencer feed at 2:44, making the Loyola lead 6-2.

Boston University cut its deficit to three before the end of the frame on a James Burr goal, and John MacClean converted on extra-man 3:21 into the second quarter, trimming the Loyola lead to 6-4.

Duffy put Loyola back up by three at 10:19 with a bouncer from outside 15 yards after Spencer threw to him from behind the cage.

That goal, however, was in the middle of a 4-1 Terriers run as Ryan Hilburn and Burr scored 15 seconds apart to get Boston University within one, 7-6, after Burr’s goal at 4:36.

The teams were scoreless for more than three minutes before Spencer took the ball to the right wing against Boston University’s zone. A defender helped up from goal-line to Spencer, and he fed Olmstead rolling the crease for a goal with 69 ticks left in the first half.

Boston University came away with the ensuing faceoff, but Jacob Stover saved a Burr shot from inside 10 yards with less than three seconds to go in the stanza. Rather than passing to a teammate, Stover stayed in the circle and released a shot before the halftime buzzer sounded. The ball took a high bounce of the outstretched stick of Terriers goalkeeper Joe McSorley and into the goal with no time on the clock, giving Loyola a 9-6 lead at halftime.

Stover’s goal was the first by a Loyola goalkeeper since Jake Hagelin had one on March 19, 2011, at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

After the break, the Greyhounds battled to win the ground ball off a Bailey Savio faceoff win. Lindley picked it up in the box, threw to Spencer on the left side, and Spencer found Drapeau on the crease to score 14 seconds into the new half.

That goal was Loyola’s third in a row and part of a 5-0 run that saw it take a 12-6 lead on an unassisted goal by Spencer with 11:45 to go in the third quarter.

Wilson scored unassisted to draw the Terriers back within five at 9:27, but the Greyhounds went on hold them scoreless for the rest of the quarter while scoring seven unanswered tallies.

Spencer scored unassisted twice with under 100 seconds to play in the third, the second time coming with the timer on 22 seconds before the end of the quarter. Savio then won the faceoff and scored six second later, making it 19-7 Greyhounds going into the final frame.

Gray recorded a goal for the Terriers 2:44 into the fourth, but Bobby Austin caught a Dan Wigley pass on extra-man to score less than two minutes later, making it 20-8 Greyhounds.

Logan Devereaux scored with the 30-second timer on at 8:51 before Ryan McNulty caught a Devereaux feed to score at 7:27. Damase Bagbonon tallied his first career goal with 4:46 left in regulation on Lucas Johnson’s first-ever point, an assist.

Savio helped Loyola control possession, winning 15 of the 25 faceoffs he took; he grabbed a career-high nine ground balls.

Overall, Loyola had a 42-29 lead in ground balls, its largest margin since February. McNulty and Zac Davliakos each had five, while Davliakos also caused two turnovers. Foster Huggins caused a game-high three turnovers for the Greyhounds. Stover made four saves in goal for Loyola, while Grant Limone came on in the fourth quarter to save four.

The Greyhounds outshot Boston University 49-22 and still shot .469 from the field despite the high number of attempts.

Saturday’s 23 goals were the most Loyola has scored since recording a 24-5 win over Fairfield University on March 19, 1997. S