Loyola uses separate 4-0 runs to top Georgetown in 11-8 final

April 11, 2018 | WNST Staff


WASHINGTON, D.C. – Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse used matching 4-0 runs in both halves on Wednesday to defeat host Georgetown University, 11-8, in a non-conference game at Cooper Field.

Jay Drapeau scored four times on six shots, matching his career-high in goals,, and Pat Spencer had two goals and five assists, to lead the ninth-ranked Greyhounds (8-3 overall). Jacob Stover made nine saves in goal, and Loyola went 12-of-23 at the faceoff `X.’

Georgetown (7-4 opened the game with an unassisted goal by Daniel Buccaro less than two minutes in, but the Greyhounds converted in transition as Brian Begley caused a turnover and hit Jay Drapeau on the run for a score at 11:06.

P.J. Brown gave the Greyhounds a 2-1 lead with 4:44 left in the first on a goal that was assisted by Spencer. That assist gave Spencer 143 for his career and sole possession of the Patriot League all-time record, passing the U.S. Military Academy’s Tim Pearson (1999-2002).

Georgetown rallied to grab a 3-2 lead with 90 seconds left in the first quarter as Lucas Wittenberg fed Craig Berge for a low-to-low shot that gave the Hoyas their second-straight goal and second lead of the game.

Loyola, however, evened the game 35 ticks before the end of the first quarter after being the recipient of a fortuitous bounce.

Spencer looked to throw a pass across the crease to Aidan Olmstead, but it was knocked down by a Georgetown defender. The ball caromed past Hoyas goalkeeper Nick Marrocco and across the line, tying the game at 3-3.

That goal was the first during the Greyhounds 4-0 run that spanned the first and second quarters. Spencer tallied another goal at 11:10 in the second when he dropped his shoulder into a defender, spun to his left hand and shot high-to-high from 15 yards out, giving Loyola a lead it would not relinquish.

Alex McGovern made it 5-3 Greyhounds with an even 10 minutes on the clock. He setup behind the goal at `X,’ chose not to use a Spencer pick on the left side, ran past his defender on the left post, slinging in a high shot for a goal.

Spencer was then a part of the final goal of the run when he picked up a ground ball after a Greyhounds shot hit hard off the pipe. He casually ran toward the goal, dropped his stick low and flipped an underhand pass to Kevin Lindley who redirected it for a goal at 7:20 that put the Greyhound sin front, 6-3.

Wittenberg converted a Daniel Bucaro pass with 3:11 left in the half, bringing the Hoyas back within a pair, but John Duffy scored for the Greyhounds with less than 30 seconds remaining in the half to push the advantage back to three. Spencer worked behind the cage with the 30-second timer on, shook his defender and threw to Duffy for an 18-yard rip that pushed the lead to 7-4 at halftime.

The Hoyas got a Buccaro goal 74 seconds into the third quarter to make it a two-goal game early in the second half. Over the next seven-plus minutes, Loyola had three turnovers that disrputed its offensive game. The Hoyas converted the third miscue into an Austin McDonald goal with 6:19 left in the third, and it was a one-goal game with Loyola in front, 7-6.

Georgetown won the next faceoff and had two shots, one that went wide and another that hit the post, before a turnover gave the ball back to the Greyhounds.

Two Loyola shots went wide, and Spencer restarted behind the cage after the second. He swam past a short-stick defender and then cut back to the left before throwing to a cutting Riley Cox on the right side. Cox caught and fired a shot past Marrocco to score with 2:14 on the clock.

That kicked off another 4-0 stretch by Loyola that was capped by three-straight Drapeau goals. He scored the first unassisted with 1:15 to go in the third quarter, and he then caught a hard cross-field pass by Duffy to score form eight yards out on the left with 11:21 to go in regulation.

His final goal came after another 30-second timer had been put on the Greyhounds. Again, Spencer initiated from behind, and he threw to Drapeau for a 12-yard stepdown on the top left with 5:06 on the clock, giving Loyola its largest lead of the game, 11-6.

Georgetown scored twice in the game’s final two minutes, but the Greyhounds held off any further scoring to secure the win in their final non-conference game of the regular-season.

Loyola returns to Ridley Athletic Complex from a three-game road swing on Saturday, April 14, to face Boston University in a 12 noon game. The Greyhounds women follow in doubleheader action, hosting Lafayette College at 3 p.m.