Terps lacrosse edges Penn in overtime

February 16, 2019 | WNST Staff


PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Sophomore Roman Puglise scored 18 seconds into overtime as No. 3 Maryland (3-0) held on to defeat Penn (0-1), 13-12 Saturday afternoon. The goal capped a wild game at Franklin Field, as Maryland surrendered a three-goal lead in the fourth quarter, before tying the contest on a Logan Wisnauskas score at 2:58 to force overtime.

With just seconds remaining in regulation, Penn looked to have a golden opportunity racing down the field in transition. A shot from Penn long pole Kyle Thorton was headed into the left side of the cage, but senior goalie Danny Dolan moved his stick high to his left to make the save and keep the Terps alive.

It was the biggest of 18 saves (tying a career-high) for Dolan on the day, who was fantastic in his first career road start for the Terps.

Maryland’s faceoff unit came through when it mattered, as Nick Brozowski picked up a hotly contested ground ball to start OT. He found a streaking Puglise down the center of the field, who buried a shot past the Quaker keeper to seal the win before his teammates mobbed him in celebration.

Wisnauskas (4 G, 2 A) and Jared Bernhardt (2 G, 4 A) paced the Terrapin offense, while Louis Dubick notched a hat trick with a career-high three goals.

After Penn managed four goals in the first quarter, Dolan settled in for the Terps, allowing just three goals over the next two.

Wisnauskas would manage to cut into the Quaker lead in the first, scoring his first of four goals on the day to make it 4-2 after the first quarter. The goal would ignite a six-goal run for the Terps, as the visitors raced out to a 7-4 advantage. Penn would manage to slip one goal past with a second remaining in a half, ending an over 18-minute scoring drought.

Sophomore Bubba Fairman would give the Terps some early momentum to start the third quarter, scoring at 13:57 before Bernhardt added his second of the day at 11:55 to give UMD a 9-5 edge.

Penn answered right back with a three-goal run, cutting the lead to 9-8 with 14:54 to play in the fourth quarter. The Terps responded, using consecutive goals from Wisnauskas and Dubick to push the lead back to three.

Penn swung the momentum in their favor down the stretch, using an 8-9 edge in faceoffs in the fourth quarter to take a 12-11 lead with 7:47 to go. The Terps defense held from there, regaining possession to make way for Wisnauskas’ game-tying strike.

Maryland will have a quick turnaround, with the Terps set to host Colgate this Tuesday, February 19 at Maryland Stadium. Faceoff is set for 5:00 pm.