UMBC LAX prevails over Mount St. Mary’s

March 25, 2015 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE – Junior midfielder Jack Gannon (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) led a balanced UMBC attack with three goals and one assist as the host Retrievers defeated Mount St. Mary’s, 11-8, at UMBC Stadium.

Junior attackman Nate Lewnes (Arnold, Md./St. Mary’s) and junior midfielder Pat Young (Ewing ,N.J.) added two scores apiece for the Retrievers, who scored a season high 11 times.

Mount St. Mary’s (2-6) was led by junior attackman Justin Gosnell, who also posted a hat trick.

UMBC (3-5) snapped a three-game losing streak and remained perfect in 22 meetings versus their in-state rivals.

The Retrievers led, 4-2, after one quarter, but the Mount outscored UMBC, 2-0, in the second quarter, to send the game to halftime even at four apiece. But UMBC erupted for four third quarter scores and took an 8-4 advantage after 45 minutes. Four different Retrievers scored in the stanza, including a man-up goal by Lewnes, after he intercepted a clearing pass by the Mount defense and scored as Mount netminder Matt Vierheller scrambled to try to get back into the net. The goal gave UMBC a 6-4 lead at the 8:12 mark of the third quarter.

But the Mountaineers would make things uncomfortable for UMBC as they scored twice to open the fourth quarter to trim the deficit to 8-6 with 10:41 remaining. The Mount had a chance to cut the deficit to one, but senior defender Ian Gray (Scottsdale, Ariz.) made a huge play, picking off a pass and sending midfielder Kevin McDonough (Oak Beach, N.Y.) in on a fast break. McDonough buried his first goal of the season with 5:23 remaining to give the hosts a 9-6 lead.

Young scored on a dodge from the middle of the field to extend the lead to 10-6 with 3:50 left and the Retrievers kept the Mount at bay in the rest of the way.

Making his second collegiate start, UMBC sophomore goalkeeper Ruston Souder (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) was credited with 11 saves on the evening. Vierheller responded with four stops for the visitors, as UMBC was outshot, 32-28

UMBC senior long-stick midfielder and face-off specialist Nathan Klein (Coquitlam, B.C.) provided a spark for the hosts in the face-off circle, garnering 9-of-16 draws and coming up with five ground balls. Lewnes also controlled five ground balls for UMBC.

Mount St. Mary’s took a 2-1 lead midway through the first quarter, but UMBC scored three times in a span of 1:51 late in the first period to lead, 4-2, after 15 minutes.

UMBC killed off five of six Mountaineer man-up chances, including a two-man down situation in the fourth quarter. The Retrievers scored on two of their three extra-man opportunities and committed just three second half turnovers.

The Retrievers will play their final non-conference game of the season at home on Friday, when they welcome Lafayette for a 7:00 p.m. face-off at UMBC Stadium.