Maryland stunned by Notre Dame in final seconds of ACC Tournament semis

April 26, 2014 | WNST Staff

CHESTER, Pa. – The No. 7 University of Maryland men’s lacrosse team trailed for only 6.5 seconds, but it was the final 6.5 seconds in a 6-5 loss to No. 9 Notre Dame Saturday night in the ACC semifinals at PPL Park.

The Terrapins are now 10-3 overall on the season, while the Fighting Irish improved its mark to 7-5.

The first quarter was scoreless through the first 12:50 of the period, but at the 2:10 mark freshman Tim Rotanzdodged past his defender from right goal line extended and scored from in close to give Maryland a 1-0 lead.

The lead doubled to 2-0 at the 12:23 mark of the second quarter when freshman Matt Rambo, who was victimized by two pipes early in the game, ripped one from 12 yards out straight away into the upper left corner.

Junior Joe LoCascio pushed the Maryland lead to 3-0 with 10:45 on the second quarter clock when he went with some high heat into the top left corner of the net.

Notre Dame finally broke through at the 5:38 mark of the second when a Terrapin turnover created a transition opportunity and Jack Near found a wide open Westy Hopkins breaking for the Maryland goal and Hopkins ended the Irish’s scoreless streak at 29:22.

The second half opened with another unassisted goal for the Terps. This time it was freshman Connor Cannizzaroscoring after dodging down the left alley and stinging the top right corner to give Maryland a 4-1 advantage.

Notre Dame cut the Terrapin lead in half with another transition score, this one coming from John Scioscia off a feed to the crease by Nick Ossello at the 8:46 mark of the third.

The Irish made it a one-goal game with 3:17 left in the third when Jim Marlatt scored off a feed from Sergio Perkovic.

The Notre Dame extra-man unit tied the game at 4-4 when Eddy Lubowicki scored unassisted at the 13:06 mark of the fourth quarter.

Maryland regained the lead when the Terps’ extra-man unit cashed in on an illegal body check by Stephen O’Hara. Junior Jay Carlson took a pass in the high slot and threaded the ball to right goal line extended where senior Rustin Bryant was able to slip the ball past ND goalie Conor Kelly at the 9:31 mark of the fourth.

The lead was short-lived as the Irish evened the game at 5-5 a minute later when Conor Doyle scored unassisted.

The Terps had the ball with just about a minute left in the game and looked to try to get the last shot, but Notre Dame forced a turnover in the waning seconds and pushed the ball in transition. Near found Matt Kavanagh on the right side of the crease and the Irish’s leading scorer netted his lone goal of the game to give ND its only lead of the game, 6-5, with 6.5 seconds left.

Junior Charlie Raffa won his 10th faceoff of the day to give Maryland a last-second opportunity, but LoCascio’s shot went over the crossbar.

Senior goalie Niko Amato made nine saves in the game for the Terps. Raffa and Cannizzaro each had six groundballs, while senior Michael Ehrhardt and junior Casey Ikeda each had two caused turnovers.

Maryland will wrap up its regular season with “Senior Day” on May 3 at Capital One Field when the Terrapins host Navy. Faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Game Notes:
• With today’s 6-5 loss Maryland is now 5-2 all-time vs. Notre Dame.