2011-12 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Saturday, February 18, 2012 – 1:00 p.m. (EST)
Morgan State (5-18, 3-9 MEAC) vs. Liberty Flames (12-16, 7-9 Big South)
Baltimore, Md. – Hill Field House
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 106-81/6th
Career Record: 141-143
Basketball SID: Leonard L. Haynes IV
2011 MSU SCHEDULE & RESULTS
OFFICIAL LU WEBSITE
• Morgan State will face the Liberty Flames on Saturday, Feb. 18 in a Sears Bracketbuster matchup set to tip at 1:00 p.m. MSU will attempt to snap a six-game losing streak when the Flames come to Hill Field House. Liberty will attempt to add to its win total following a 78-69 home victory against VMI on Tuesday. Morgan State will honor four senior members of the basketball team prior to the tip-off.
• This will be MSU’s fourth appearance competing in BracketBusters and they will be serving as host for the second time. MSU is 2-1 in the event after defeating Towson, 80-64, in 2009, falling to Murray State, 75-66, in 2010 and beating VMI 66-62 in 2011.
• DeWayne Jackson scored a team-high 16 points off the bench, but the Bears fell to Delaware State at Hill Field House for the first time since 2007. Marques Oliver scored the game-winning basket on a follow-up as time expired to give the Hornets a 74-73 win.
• Morgan State will enter Saturday afternoon’s contest having lost six straight, including seven of its last eight games.
• The Bears have used six different starting lineups in their first 23 games.
• Kevin Thompson has scored in double-digits in 14 of 23 games, and has posted six double-doubles (pts & rebs) so far this season.
• Redshirt sophomore Ian Chiles (7-foot-2) is the first 7-footer since MSU legend Marvin Webster to grace the campus of Morgan State University … Chiles, a Cliffside Park, N.J. product, is currently averaging 9.0 points, 4.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks so far this season.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
BEARS BID FAREWELL TO FOUR SENIORS
• Before the Liberty game, the Morgan State men’s basketball program will recognize four seniors who have helped accumulate several lofty achievements during their tenures. PG Larry Bastfield, G/F Aric Brooks, F Ameer Ali and F/C Kevin Thompson will be in uniform for the final time as Bears in Hill Field House.
• During the Bozeman era the Bears have gone 46-16 (.741) home record inside the confines of Hill Field House, including a one-point loss against Delaware State on Feb. 13.
A BEARS WIN WOULD…
• Give the Bears a 4-9 record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Give Todd Bozeman his 107th victory as MSU’s head coach.
• Give the Bears its fourth home victory of the season.
• Snap the Bears 6-game losing streak
• Give the Bears its third Bracketbusters win
THE SERIES VS. THE FLAMES
• The last meeting between the Flames and the Bears occurred nearly 30 years ago, as Liberty bested Morgan State, 68-51 on January 22, 1983.
• As part of the Sears Bracketbuster agreement, Morgan State and Liberty will schedule a return meeting in November or December of the 2013-14 season. The rematch will take place in the Vines Center.
• The last time MSU has defeated a non- conference opponent at Hill Field House was earlier this season. The Bears posted a 69-45 win against Loyola Marymount on December 21, 2011.
• MSU has posted a 2-10 record against non-conference opponents this season, while Liberty has recorded a 5-7 record.
NOTE ON THE FLAMES
• Liberty will enter Hill Field House riding a 3-game winning streak following a 78- 69 win against VMI on Feb. 14, 2012. The Flames have also won six of its last eight games.
• Jesse Sanders is the only player in Big South history with 1,000 career points (1,182), 700 career rebounds (777) and 600 career assists (692).
• The Flames are 5-8 in road games so far this season, and have gone 1-3 on the road against non-conference opponents … The Flames’ only non-conference road win was on Nov. 14, 2011 when they handed William & Mary a 75-72 loss.
MSU will face cross-town rival Coppin State on Monday, Feb. 22. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. The Eagles held on to defeat MSU 88-86 in their first matchup at Hill Field House on February 4, 2012.