Drapeau, Spencer lead Loyola lacrosse past Georgetown

March 22, 2017 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE – Jay Drapeau scored a career-high three goals, and Pat Spencer posted two goals and five assists, Wednesday afternoon as the No. 17 Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team defeated visiting Georgetown University, 11-10, at Ridley Athletic Complex.

The Hoyas (2-6 overall) took an 8-7 lead with 10:03 left in the third quarter on Daniel Bucaro’s second of three goals, but Drapeau tallied a goal off a Spencer assist with 1:35 left in the frame to spark a 3-0 Loyola run that would put the Greyhounds in front for god.

Drapeau scored again with 8:57 left in the fourth quarter, picking up a loose ball in a scramble three yards from the crease and dumping in his third of the game. He also had an assist, and his four points were also a career-high.

Loyola (5-3) added to its lead on its next possession as Spencer skipped a pass to Peter Swindell on the right side, and he struck for a goal with 7:56 left in regulation, staking Loyola to a 10-8 advantage.

Georgetown, however, pulled back within one as Bucaro played give-and-go with Peter Conley, and Bucaro hit an eight-yard shot form the right wing at 1:06 after Drapeau’s last goal.

The Hoyas regained possession after a Loyola turnover in the midfield, but Grant LImone saved a Jake Carraway shot, and the Greyhounds cleared to their offensive end. Nick Marrocco, who had 17 saves for Georgetown, made a save on a Romar Dennis shot, and Georgetown went back on offense with just over four minutes to play, down one.

Zac Davliakos trail-checked Georgetown’s Devon Lewis, and Ryan Fournier picked up the ground ball in traffic for Loyola. The Greyhounds again cleared the ball and proceeded to run more than 90 seconds off the clock. With the 30-second timer on, Spencer drew space with a dodge from behind and fed Alex McGovern on the right post for a goal with 1:24 left that gave Loyola a 11-9 advatnage.

Georgetown went back on offense with after a loose-ball push was called on Loyola on the faceoff. Craig Berge spun free from his defender in the middle and scored from six yards out for the Hoyas, making it a one-goal game with 57.5 seconds left on the clock.

Loyola won the ensuing faceoff – Graham Savio went 14-of-24 at the ‘X’ for the Greyhounds – and got the ball to Spencer who was trailed by two Georgetown defenders. Loyola attempted to call a timeout while Spencer was in the box, but it was not granted, and the Greyhounds were whistled for illegal procedure and the ball went over to Georgetown with 20 seconds left.

The Hoyas, however, went offsides on their offensive end eight seconds later, and Loyola ran out the clock for the win.

Loyola had a 41-36 advantage in shots and a 37-22 margin in ground balls. Fournier picked up a season-best six ground balls, and Savio had five. Zack Sirico added four, and four players tallied three.

The Greyhounds jumped out a 3-0 lead as Spencer took a Drapeau pass to sling a sidearm goal from five yards just 48 seconds into the game. Drapeau scored his first of the game 69 seconds later when he grabbed a loose ball just outside the crease after a Dennis shot was saved and rebounded off Maccarro. Mike Perkins made the lead three at 4:31 when he stepped down off a Spencer feed and bounced in a shot from 18 yards.

Conley scored unassisted with 4:31 left in the first to put Georgetown on the board, but Spencer dodged topside from behind the cage to score with 6.9 ticks left in the first, sending Loyola into the second quarter with a 4-1 advantage.

Berge tallied his first of the game on extra-man just 52 seconds into the second quarter, but Loyola came back 61 seconds later as Brian Sherlock one-timed a Spencer feed from behind for a goal that put Loyola in front, 5-2.

Georgetown, however, scored the next three goals, and Bucaro’s first of the game at 7:20 tied the score at 5-5. The deadlock was short-lived as off a faceoff win, Zack Sirico fed Ryan Fournier on the crease for his first goal of the season 20 seconds later.

Sirico also assisted on the next goal, initiating from behind for a John Duffy strike at 2:49 that would make the halftime score, 7-5 in the Greyhounds’ favor.

Georgetown used another 3-0 run to start the second half with Devon Lewis scoring the first two and Bucaro tallying the third.

Nine of Loyola’s goals were assisted. Spencer posted five, Sirico, two, and Drapeau, one. Bucaro scored three for the Hoyas, while Berge, Conely and Lewis each had two.

Four players were credited with two caused turnovers each for Loyola: Ryder Harkins, Brian Begley, Davliakos and Fournier. Limone made seven saves in just over 41 minutes for Loyola between the pipes.

The game was Loyola’s final regular-season non-conference game. The Greyhounds step back into Patriot League action on Saturday, March 25, with a 1 p.m. game at Bucknell University that will air nationally on the American Sports Network and in the Baltimore area on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Plus.