Efficient Loyola offense too much for Towson in 11-7 final

March 02, 2017 | WNST Staff


TOWSON, Md. – Loyola University Maryland scored on 11 of 29 shots, and Jacob Stover matched his career-high with 16 saves Wednesday night as the 12th-ranked Greyhounds downed No. 14 Towson University, 11-7, at Unitas Stadium.

Jordan Germsershausen tied a career-high, as well, leading all players with four goals, while Romar Dennis and Brian Begley each scored twice. Pat Spencer scored a goal and had a game-best four assists for the Greyhounds (2-2 overall).

Loyola’s defense stretched Towson’s offense into taking longer shots, and the Tigers (2-1) snapped off 43 attempts, but only 23 were on goal. Stover saved 16 of those, tying his previous best set in May 2016 against Duke University in the NCAA Championships First Round.

The Greyhounds held the Tigers’ two leading goal scorers – Jon Mazza and Joe Seider – without goals in the game. Mazza entered with seven, but he managed just one shot, and Seider did not find the net on any of his 15 shots after coming into the contest with five.

Towson did get on the board first as Mike Lynch scored his first of two goals. The midfielder got free down the right side and scored from inside five yards 61 seconds into the contest, staking the Tigers to an early advantage.

Loyola did not get on the board for the next five-plus minutes, but the Greyhounds went on extra-man and found the net for the first time. Spencer faked a pass to the right and slipped one left to Dennis who ripped a high shot from 15 yards out, tying the game at 8:11.

Brian Begley gave the Greyhounds a lead they would not relinquish after clearing the ball himself and running down the left side to score from near the crease with 3:02 on the first-quarter clock. Germershausen would tally his first of the game with just 11 seconds left in the frame taking a Spencer feed from behind for a quick-stick goal.

Jay Drapeau increased Loyola’s lead to 4-1 when he caught a Spencer feed on the close right side to score 2:45 into the second quarter. Scoring went quiet for more than six minutes until Lynch tallied his second for the Tigers, using a Brian Bolewicki pass to score from deep at 5:57.

Loyola earned possession off the faceoff, however, and Germershausen dodged from goal-line-extended on the right to get underneath the defense and score 43 seconds after Lynch’s tally. Begley matched his career-high – set in the season-opener against the University of Virginia – by taking a Jared Mintzlaff pass on a clear and racing in to score at 4:25. His goal gave Loyola a 6-2 advantage it would carry into the locker room at halftime.

The Greyhounds struck for a second time on extra-man midway through the third quarter as John Duffy fed Alex McGovern on the left side of the crease, and McGovern flipped an underhand shot under the cross bar at 7:29.

Ryan Drenner, however, bookended a Romar Dennis goal off a Brian Sherlock assist with two unassisted goals for Towson. His second made it an 8-4 Loyola lead with 3:46 left in the third.

Graham Savio won the faceoff for Loyola, and Alex Johnson picked up the ground ball. He brought it into the box for the Greyhounds and dumped a pass off to McGovern on the right. McGovern then hit a cutting Spencer who scored 18 seconds after Drenner to push Loyola back up by five.

The Tigers would score the next three goals – the first by Zach Goodrich and the next two by Tyler Konen – to cut their deficit to two, 9-7, but the mini-run took almost 14 minutes. Konen’s second came with 3:23 left in the game, and Savio won the ensuing faceoff to himself, allowing Loyola to run down the clock.

Once the 30-second shot clock was put on the Greyhounds, Spencer again fed Germsershausen for a goal at 1:57, stretching the lead back to three. After a Stover save and clear to the offensive box, Mintzlaff shot a pass to Germershausen on the crease for his fourth of the game with 60 seconds left in regulation.

Towson committed 15 turnovers in the game, 10 that were caused by the Greyhounds. Foster Huggins and Zac Davliakos each were credited with two caused turnovers, and the duo led Loyola with five and four ground balls, respectively. Mintzlaff, Johnson and Stover each had three.

The game wrapped up a three-game road trip for the Greyhounds. Loyola returns to Ridley Athletic Complex and Patriot League action on Saturday, March 4, when it hosts College of the Holy Cross at 12 noon. The game is part of a Loyola lacrosse doubleheader with the women playing Penn State University at 3 p.m.