Hopkins blows past UMBC for second straight win to begin season

February 11, 2017 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE, MD – The eighth-ranked Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse team found itself in a 2-2 tie with visiting UMBC after the opening 15 minutes of Saturday’s game at Homewood Field. Five minutes into the second quarter, the Blue Jays had a 6-2 lead and never looked back in what became a 15-5 victory, their 15th straight in the series and second straight to open the 2017 season.

Ten different Johns Hopkins players found the back of the net and the Blue Jay defense settled in and held the Retrievers scoreless for a span of 23:55 from late in the first quarter until midway through the third. By the time UMBC’s Max Maxwell scored off a broken Blue Jay clear with 9:08 left in the third quarter, the Blue Jays had scored eight unanswered goals to turn that early 2-2 tie into a 10-2 lead.

Senior John Crawley, freshman Cole Williams and junior Shack Stanwick all scored unassisted goals in the first 4:08 of the second period to ignite the game-deciding run. Crawley swept across the top of the box and ripped a left-handed laser to the low corner, while Williams and Stanwick both dodged from behind the goal and got to the slot before scoring from about seven yards out. A Joel Tinney strike capped the lightning-quick four-goal spurt when sophomore Kyle Marr found him alone on the side of the goal after some quick ball movement.

The 6-2 lead held for more than six minutes before Marr’s extra-man goal touched off a three-goal run that took just 2:25 and also included the first career goal for sophomore Alex Concannon and the second of Wilkins Dismuke’s three goals in the game; the spurt gave Hopkins a 9-2 lead at the half.

While the offense was putting the ball in the net seven times in the second quarter, the Blue Jay defense was allowing just three shots and harassing UMBC into three turnovers, while senior Matt Ledwin took over at the X and won 5-of-7 faceoffs to spark the run.

After Dismuke and Maxwell traded goals in a 51-second span early in the third period, a 10-3 Hopkins lead held for nearly seven minutes before the first career goal for freshman Forry Smith ignited a 4-0 Blue Jay run that bridged the third and fourth quarters and gave the Blue a 14-3 lead. Smith also added the fourth goal in the four-goal spree, which also saw Marr and Dismuke tally as well.

UMBC’s Max Haldeman and Jonah Kozireski sandwiched goals around a Thomas Guida tally for the Blue Jays in the final 3:10 to account for the 15-5 final score.

Dismuke punched up his second hat trick in as many games and Stanwick totaled two goals and three assists for a game-high five points. Marr (2g, 1a), Smith (2g, 1a) and Concannon (1g, 2a) also notched multi-point games and Ledwin enjoyed the finest game of his career as he was 9-of-12 on faceoffs with five ground balls. Stanwick extended his point-scoring streak to 35 games with his five-point effort.

Maxwell was the only multi-point producer for the Retrievers, who got nine saves from Ruston Souder in goal and a solid 9-of-15 performance on faceoffs from Jake Brothers.

Johns Hopkins will return to action on Saturday, February 18 when the Blue Jay welcome Loyola to Homewood Field (1 pm).