Hopkins gets by Loyola 14-13 in overtime

February 18, 2017 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE, MD — Johns Hopkins junior midfielder Joel Tinney picked the right time to net his only goal of the game as he ripped an eight-yard left-handed laser past Loyola goalie Jacob Stover 2:13 into the first overtime to lift the Blue Jay men’s lacrosse team to a dramatic 14-13 victory in the latest installment of the battle for Charles Street. In a game that featured four ties in the final 18 minutes and pair of Blue Jay rallies from three-goal deficits, it was Tinney’s goal and a big save from graduate student Gerald Logan that were the difference at the end.

Tinney’s goal, which followed a fake flip off a pick play at the top of the box, came on the third possession of the extra session. The Blue Jays won the opening faceoff of overtime, but turned the ball over before getting settled. Loyola answered with a lengthy possession that ended when Logan stopped a Brian Sherlock 10-yard step-down after Greyhound attackman Pat Spencer had drawn a double-team; the Blue Jays successfully cleared for the 16th time on 16 attempts and set up the play for Tinney out of a timeout.

After working the ball to Tinney 25 yards from the goal to Stover’s right, the Blue Jays executed the pick and fake flip perfectly and Tinney worked from his right hand to his left before firing home the game-winner.

An overtime game-winner for Johns Hopkins didn’t’ seem likely at several points during the game as Loyola twice built three-goal leads.

The final of those three-goal leads found the Greyhounds up 10-7 early the third quarter after Mike Perkins blistered one home from 10 yards out in transition after a Blue Jay turnover.

The 10-7 deficit was an 11-10 Johns Hopkins lead eight minutes later as junior Shack Stanwick scored twice and assisted on a Kyle Marr goal in a five-minute span and freshman Forry Smith dodged from behind the goal and slipped one inside the far post to give Hopkins its first lead of the game with 2:35 left in the third quarter.

Loyola, which scored the first goal of the game and either led or was tied for more than 38 straight minutes before Smith’s tally, had the game tied at 11 just 44 seconds after Smith’s goal when Alex McGovern quick-sticked home a nifty pass from Spencer and the `Hounds had the first of two one-goal fourth-quarter leads just 1:21 into the final period when Sherlock beat Logan low with his third of the game.

Johns Hopkins senior Wilkins Dismuke answered Sherlock’s tally just over four minutes later when sophomore Alex Concannon drew a slide after sweeping across the top of the box and found Dismuke alone on the wing — Dismuke went low on Stover to extend his goal-scoring streak to 15 games dating back to last season.

Sherlock gave Loyola its final lead of the game with 6:16 remaining when he scored while both teams had a man in the box and more than three minutes dripped off the clock before Smith answered with a rebound goal to knot the game at 13. Stover came up with a save on an initial Blue Jay shot, but Smith batted the rebound out of the air and into the net for the equalizer.

Loyola had possession for the last two minutes of regulation, but never really had a great look and the Blue Jays came up with their school-record-tying 12th caused turnover of the game in the final seconds to force overtime.

From there, all that remained was Logan’s big save and Tinney’s game-winner, which pushed Hopkins to 5-1 in its last six games in overtime.

The back-and-forth action in the second half came after an opening quarter that featured nine goals and saw Loyola lead 4-1 after 11 minutes, but just 5-4 after 15 as the Blue Jays scored three straight in a span of 2:25 late in the period. Craig Madarasz, Stanwick and senior John Crawley all scored during the spree for Johns Hopkins to knot the game at 4-4, only to have Graham Savio answer Crawley’s tally off the ensuing faceoff to account for the `Hounds one-goal lead at the end of the first period.

The pace slowed a bit in the second quarter and the Blue Jays were even at 6-6 after goals by Marr and junior Patrick Fraser, but Loyola ended the half with strikes by Romar Dennis and Sherlock in the final 2:39 to carry an 8-6 lead into halftime.

After trading goals in the first two minutes of the second half, the Greyhounds had their 10-7 lead on Perkins’ goal just over four minutes into the third quarter, but Stanwick jump-started what would become a 7-3 game-ending run for Johns Hopkins with his third goal of the game a short time later.

Stanwick tied his career high with four goals and added an assist for a five-point day, while Smith and Marr both scored twice. The only other multi-point scorer for Johns Hopkins was senior defensive midfielder Joe Carlini, who notched a pair of assists in transition; both assists were on Stanwick goals. Stanwick pushed his point-scoring streak to 36 games with his five-point effort.

Logan posted eight saves in goal for Johns Hopkins, which outshot Loyola, 41-36, and turned the ball over just six times. The Blue Jays narrowly lost the ground ball battle (30-29) and won just 12-of-31 faceoffs.

Spencer (1g, 4a) and Sherlock (4g, 1a) were the leaders on offense for Loyola, which also got a 19-of-31 showing on faceoffs from Savio, who also contributed the one goal and a game-high 10 ground balls. Stover made 14 saves in goal for the Greyhounds, but Loyola had 16 turnovers, including the 12 caused by the Blue Jays — six of those turnovers came in the fourth quarter.

Johns Hopkins will return to action on Saturday, February 25 when the Blue Jays travel to Chapel Hill to take on defending national champion North Carolina.