Loyola lacrosse upsets Hopkins for third straight time in 10-7 final

February 15, 2020 | WNST Staff


BALTIMORE – Kevin Lindley scored four goals, and Sam Shafer made 15 saves in goal, on Saturday as the 16th-ranked Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team dealt No. 11 Johns Hopkins University a 10-7 loss for its third-straight win in the series.

Johns Hopkins (1-1 overall) scored the first goal of the game, but then Lindley tallied a pair as Loyola built a 3-1 advantage at the end of the first quarter to put Loyola (1-1) in front for the remainder of the game. The win was Loyola’s sixth in its last seven meetings with the Blue Jays.

A Garrett Degnon goal with 3:25 left in the second pulled the Blue Jays within one, 4-3, but Lindley tallied a goal on a Joey Kamish assist with 2:24 left in the half, and the Greyhounds took a 5-3 lead into halftime.

Coming out of the locker room, Loyola scored the next three goals to lead 8-3 on Lindley’s fourth of the day, a lead the Greyhounds would build to 10-4 early in the fourth quarter.

In addition to Lindley’s four goals, Aidan Olmstead and Adam Poitras each had three-point outings with two goals and an assist each.

Bailey Savio’s work at the faceoff ‘X’ helped Loyola control possession as he had eight of Loyola’s 29 ground balls to the Blue Jays’ 22. Savio was 8 of 10 facing off in the first half and 11 of 15 at the end of the third quarter before finishing the game 12 of 20.

The Greyhounds’ defense held Johns Hopkins’ starting attack to just three goals on 10 shots. The Blue Jays’ leading scorer from a week ago, Cole Williams who had two goals and four assists in a win against Towson University, was held without a point thanks in large part to the marking of Kyle LeBlanc. LeBlanc also had two caused turnovers and two ground balls in the game.

Johns Hopkins got on the board first when Degnon scored unassisted just over three minutes in, but Lindley had an unassisted take from behind the cage to even the score with 8:33 to go in the first quarter. He then scored again, this time after Scott Middleton caused a turnover on the defensive end. After Loyola settled into six-on-six offense, Riley Seay threw to Lindley on the right side for a goal at 5:21 that gave the Greyhounds a lead they would not relinquish.

Aidan Olmstead pushed the lad to 3-1 when he scored unassisted, beating his man topside to with 2:50 left in the first quarter.

Forry Smith grabbed a rebound off a saved shot to score for the Blue Jays 1:07 into the fourth to draw them within a goal, but Adam Poitras dodged past his defender down the middle to tally an unassisted goal at 5:55 for Loyola.

Degnon used a Evan Zinn pass to tally a goal at 3:25, making it 4-3 Loyola, but that was as close as Johns Hopkins would get after Lindley started a 6-1 run. Kamish rolled back and stepped away from his defender before Lindley snuck toward the crease and caught Kamish’s feed for his third goal of the first half.

Olmstead got the second-half scoring started when he ran around a pick below goal-line to score on the left side 3:58 into the third quarter. Poitras added his second of the day, again unassisted, off a wing dodge that made it 7-3 with 7:21 to play in the third.

Lindley scored Loyola’s fourth-straight when he caught Olmstead’s pass and scored at 4:14 in transition. The Greyhounds had turned the ball over on a shot-clock violation, but Johns Hopkins gave it back when it went offsides clearing. Olmstead restarted for Loyola and found Lindley open on the wing, and he finished the goal for his fourth of the day.

Smith broke up the scoreless stretch for Johns Hopkins – a run that lasted 16 minutes, 24 seconds and spanned both halves – when he caught Degnon’s pass to score with 1:41 left in a third quarter, drawing the Blue Jays within four, 8-4.

Loyola picked up its scoring again in the fourth quarter as Olmstead triggered the offense from behind the cage, throwing to Poitras on the high right side. Poitras swung it to Peter Swindell who stepped down from 15 yards, scoring with 13:36 left in regulation.

The Greyhounds then killed a pair of 30-second penalties before forcing a Johns Hopkins turnover. Payton Rezanka picked up the ground ball and threw it ahead to Ryan McNulty who ran into the box and ripped a 15-yard shot for a goal at 11:37, staking the Greyhounds to a 10-4 advantage.

Johns Hopkins then scored two goals within 35 seconds of each other as Zinn tallied an unassisted score at 10:41 and he then fed Connor DeSimone for a goal at 10:06 that cut the Greyhounds lead to four.

The Blue Jays came up with the ensuing faceoff, and Kyle Prouty ran into the box, shooting on the run from 12 yards, but Shafer made a save to his left, thwarting what could have been a third-straight goal.

Neither Johns Hopkins, nor Loyola would score for over eight minutes until Smith tallied his second rebound goal of the day with 1:34 remaining in regulation.

After that got Johns Hopkins within three, the Blue Jays had two shots that were blocked, and Shafer came up with a ground ball that sealed the win for Loyola.

The Greyhounds play their second of three-straight at home on Saturday, February 22, when they host Rutgers University in a 12 noon game at Ridley Athletic Complex.