Machado, Davis denied 2016 Gold Glove Awards

November 08, 2016 | Luke Jones

The Orioles did not bring home any American League Gold Glove Awards for the first time since 2010.

Two-time Gold Glove third baseman Manny Machado and first baseman Chris Davis were both named finalists at their respective positions but lost out on Tuesday night. Texas third baseman Adrian Beltre won for the fifth time in his brilliant career while Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland received the fielding honor for the first time.

Machado committed only seven errors at third base compared to Beltre’s 10, but the latter led AL third baseman with 15 defensive runs saved to Machado’s 13 at the hot corner. Davis led AL first basemen with eight defensive runs saved to Moreland’s seven, but the latter committed just two errors while the Baltimore first baseman made 10 this season.

The Gold Glove winners are voted on by managers and coaches who aren’t allowed to choose their own players. This accounts for 75 percent while the SABR Defensive Index — used to help decide the winners since 2013 — composes the other 25 percent of the decision.

Beltre and Moreland both led the SBI at their respective positions in the AL while Machado was third among third basemen and Davis was second at first base.