COLLEGE PARK, Md. — The University of Maryland men’s basketball team will embark on its 2017-18 campaign Friday in the team’s season opener against Stony Brook at NYCB LIVE: Home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The game will be streamed via BTN2Go.
• Maryland and Stony Brook will meet for the fourth time in the head-to-head series Friday when both teams open up their 2017-18 campaigns. The Terps are 3-0 all-time vs. the Seawolves, including a 77-63 victory last season on November 22 at the XFINITY Center. This is Maryland’s first matchup with Stony Brook away from home.
• The Terps return nine letter winners from a year ago, including three starters in sophomores Anthony Cowan Jr., Kevin Huerter and Justin Jackson.
• Friday will be the official Terrapin debut for graduate transfer Sean Obi (Duke), while rookies Bruno Fernando (4-star), Darryl Morsell (4-star), Reese Mona, and Alex Tostado will suit up for the first time.
• Maryland was an impressive 11-4 in games away from XFINITY Center last season, which included an 8-2 mark in true road games.
• Maryland has won three consecutive season openers, and is 16-4 in its first game of the season since the 1997-98 campaign.
• Maryland is on the cusp of a top-25 national ranking, receiving 20 votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll and seven votes in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll released on October 22 and November 1 (respectively).
• Sophomore Anthony Cowan Jr. and freshman Darryl Morsell headlined Maryland’s 88-44 exhibition victory over the Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets at the XFINITY Center on Nov. 2.
• Cowan finished with 17 points while Morsell put up 14 points and three rebounds in exhibition action.